Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Oct 4, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

fgfdgjhh

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. terky

terky Registered Member

Re: toyota transmission rear output shaft seal

yotatech.com

They will solve any yota problem. Ive got a 1982 4WD and yes that little 4 banger eats gas, but it can crawl over just about anythig too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: toyota transmission rear output shaft seal *DELETED*

Post deleted by R72K5

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Try over at the Pirate Board, Toyota Forum. I had to do some work on the girlfriends Toyota, and they gave some good advise over there.

Eric M.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

#1) get a tailshaft seal kit (seal, felt, shield) from a local dealer. Toyota designed the seal that way for a reason.

#2) since it's still leaking the probable cause is a failed bushing in the tail cone. It's not serviceable via Toyota but it can be bought at a tranny parts house.

#3) as for the truck being a POS, how many miles are on it? How often have you had to service it? Aside from the leak is it dependable inspite of all of the above? They're good trucks, like any brand once they get to be almost 20 years old with surely close to (or more than) 200k you're going to have to fix stuff.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Post deleted by R72K5

7. nvrenuf

The felt seal is just a wiper to keep the foreign poo off the seal, I like it better simply because a shielded seal is nicer than an exposed seal. Obviously though, the seal brand/design is not the reason for your leak, this is just my opinion on which is a better seal.

I worked at a dealer for a long time and typically if there was a leakage problem that a seal wont fix the answer is the bushing. I guess the bad bushing lets the yoke wobble around causing the leak. No guarantee that the root of the problem, just a common fix.

I am surprised, I expected your truck to have higher mileage than it does.

FWIW, the 22RE is fairly valuable so if you kill it be sure to sell the motor first, good cores are getting hard to find.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Post deleted by R72K5

9. nvrenuf

The u-joint could be the cause of the failure if it's bad enough to let the shaft wobble and vibrate. As for why other brands don't leak fluid in a similar situation, could be that one manufacturer designs their unit to lubricate more or less in a given spot based on what their engineers want or think is necessary. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You already have your mind made up, why are you worried about fixing it? Stop complaining, scrap it and move on.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok its fixed, finally after much pissed off-ness
    thanks for responses i appreciate

i have a hard time giving up on something even no matter how pissed i am at it, usually, but not always,

i called a trans shop in springfield and talked to them and they said to remove all the tin dust shield crap off the extension housing and off the driveshaft yoke and see if i can see where exactly is leaking from,

well i called the newly recently built O Reilly's auto store here and they had a Pioneer brand seal for 1.69, so i got it and ill be damned if it doesnt look identical to the original one and now i dont have any leak at all,

the auto zone timken seal was junk, ill never buy a seal from there ever again, i dont know if its their application listing thats incorrect or if its the timken brand thats crap but im staying away from either for seals from now on, that was a bunch of BS !

and another thing, i dont know why toyota thinks that there has to be all that crap dust shield tin work on the yoke and extension shaft housing,
    ford and gm and such dont use any such tin work on their trannies and they dont ever leak, its rare that they do, so....

all is better now, so far,
    if it leaks anymore then im blowing the damn truck up i will give up im sick and tired of dropping the driveshaft and reinstallling it

now today am hauling a blazer to outlaw612's place, hopefully that will happen without any negative incident, seems like anything i try to do always has negative occurances tied to it, thats how my life has been since summer 02 or so, been nothing but a bunch of crap, one thing after another going wrong, im sick of it, the smallest little thing turns into a big crap deal anymore,

thats why i hate doing anything in this life anymore, i dont know how much longer i can put up with it all, no wonder my blood pressure is so high, ill probably die of a heart attack while im still 26 at this rate,

oh well....... so be it then, i dont evne care at this point

if the trans starts leaking again or when the ujoint thats about to break finally breaks then im scrapping it, no more fixes for this truck, im tired of it, plus i dont have 13 bucks to go get a u joint anyway, 13 bucks is a ton of cash anymore these days, i already wasted 5 damn bucks on the crap seal from A/Z that i could have bought food or something else important with!

thanks