Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete please

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by R72K5, Oct 6, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

rtgryhggf

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: 4 speed in place of 5 speed, 87 2wd ?

also how do i get a clutch disk alignment shaft for 13 spline thats in these things thats chgeap or free ?
    we have auto zone, oreillys and napa here and thats it, no salvage yards no anything else

thanks

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 4 speed should bolt in place of a 5 speed. AFAIK everything is the same, prolly not the shifter though

i have a just 5 speed from an s10 that i could tear apart and send the input to you, i just have no money for shipping.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

thanks TJ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lol im like you and am broke as usual have not enough ot mail anything, ill have to guessitamte when placing the disk and plate assembly back on the flywheel,

it turns out the truck i am working on is a 92 2wd pickup and its got a t-56 in it, it has four freaking bracerods and removeable bellhousing,

the 4 speed i have from the 87 2wd pickup is one piece housing non removeable bellhousing its all totally different the trans moun tisnt even in the same place its 2.5" different but the shifters are identical

the rear axle in the 92 wouldnt budge, yeah the parking cables were tight the brakes were froze i had to remove cable nut and beat the hell out of drums and backing plates ot free up the brakes, then i had to put gas in it and prime it to get the TBI 2.8L to finally fire up and run, it had been sitting for a while for sure, you could tell by how bad it ran at first and smoked and crap out the exhaust and then it cleared up and engien sped up smoothed out after about ten seconds of first runnign it,

the trans or clutch is shot in it, when you have the clutch pushed iiin everything is fine, shifts into all 5 gears and reverse fine bt when you start letting clutch engage then bang bang bang real fast from under the truck, so trans is busted or clutch is gone, i was under the assumption that T-56 was a tough trans nowadays, so im hoping for busted clutch,

hmm.

oh and the 92 is VSS speedo and the 87 trans i have isnt, so....

theres just so many differences from an 87 4 speed to a 92 5 speed it isnt even funny,

everything cept overall length and shifter

splines probably wont be same i bet, the 4 speed is 13 spline input the t56 who knows what its got and output splines who knows,

im not even gonna attempt to try to swap to 4 speed in it for him

thanks for anything else, i need to find out anything else that i possibly can, especially in regards to clutch replacement 92 s-10 2wd 2.8L and T-56

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

update again:

the trans is broken, its got like 3rd gear and thats it, everything else is busted, the output shaft never turns when you put it in any other gears and turn the input shaft by hand,

kaboom, i guess

oh and i thought a t56 was a later model t5 and that was what was in this 92, but i guess not, apparently a t56 is a 6 speed, hum

i was confused before

and i guess theres no way to swap the VSS speedo parts from the 92 t5 over to the 87 t4

i wil never work on manual trans in s-10 trucks ever again, they suck bad, you have to totally remove shifter and all or the trans will not come out from under the truck and the damn trans mount has the catyltic converter brace bracket sandwiched inbetween trans and mount and is a major PITA to remove the bolts at cat converter had to use torch it sucked bad, what a retarded design that is,

thanks for anything else

6. big83chevy4x4

yes i know how that goes, ive done it all before.

i was gonna say that the t56 is a 6 speed in the camaro and corvette.

i got a t5 from an 88 that was mechanical speedo and my 89 s10 had the VSS. i made it work. you need a tail shaft housing from a VSS truck though. the gear and the reluctor ring are in the same position.

those t5s are hard to find. lucky one of my friends had one for $150 that was in great shape. i haven't been able to find one for less than $400.

good luck

one good thing about the t5 is its fairly light, easy to put in. thats the only thing. lol

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool thanks i appreciate

so tailshaft extension housing differs from VSS to mechanical ?

for sure ?

then he is screwed i cant help him then, looks like i removed his busted t5 for nothing

i better get paid for what i did so far, even with the bad luck on his part, maybe he will quit purposely buying vehicles with problems thinking that he can fix for cheap and then sell,. he cant get much over 500 for the truck if it were in tip top mechanical shape anyways

if i could get the truck for super cheap somehow then id stick my t4 setup in it and not care if speedo worked or not, i need a decent set of wheels, the s-10 runs like brand new, rusted body but mint brand new shape interior, the trucks may end up in shredder too

i gotta talk to him today and see what he says, but not much can be done at this point, his parts truck hs a 4 speed in it and its even older, its an 82, so it wont do anymore good than the 4 speed i have from an 87, both one piece casting trans and mechanical speedo and trans mount different location and so forth, shifter boot and stuff different im sure too, top of trans around shifter all differs big time from 4 to 5 speed borgs.

thanks for anything else

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: T-4 in place of T-5, 92 2wd *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by R72K5

9. big83chevy4x4

yes the tail shaft is different, the hole for the sensor/speedo gear is lower on a mechanical, on a VSS it is in line with the outputshaft.

if i were you i would put the t4 on ebay or something, they are worth a bit and it will give you some $$$. i put my t5 on ebay and got $250 out of it.

if you wanted you could take the speedo cluster out of a mechanicle speedo and swap it in, it will run a bit differnt but enough to sell it and get some $$$. around here a good running solid s10 goes for about $1000, plus being gas prices are high, people might by it for that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Re: T-4 in place of T-5, 92 2wd

Randy, I want an electronic speedo from 89-up truck if you come across one. I prefer with factory tach, but they are rare. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yes the tail shaft is different, the hole for the sensor/speedo gear is lower on a mechanical, on a VSS it is in line with the outputshaft.

if i were you i would put the t4 on ebay or something, they are worth a bit and it will give you some $$$. i put my t5 on ebay and got $250 out of it.

if you wanted you could take the speedo cluster out of a mechanicle speedo and swap it in, it will run a bit differnt but enough to sell it and get some $$$. around here a good running solid s10 goes for about $1000, plus being gas prices are high, people might by it for that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

t-4 with integral bellhousing, i found out they are common and weakest ones they made, they also did make t-4 with non integral bellhousing, i did not know that

junkyards sell the integral t-4 for cheap, i looked it all up, theres about 5 or 6 possibilities for t-4 and t-5 trannies in a givne year for s-10 2wd's

ots crazy

the integral t-4 turns out to be the most common and lightest duty out there, lately i been looking at s-10s locally aroun dhere and most all of them i run into have the integral t-4 in them, very extremely common

this 92 s-10 i was working on with the non integral t-5 is a problem, junkyards dont have this tranny and they want upwards of 6 or 800 dollars for one, if they even had one,

its insane

so the truck is doomed, thats more than the truck is worth

bottom line t-04 is useless and junk, even though was perfectly good, so i took it to shredder too

i never knew of all the differences between integral and non integral and t-4's and t-5's they are even different from one mnodel to another, its crazy

also i have never sene a VSS tranny before 92

92 is the earliest i have yet to come across

i know in caprices and camaros and trucks and firebirds and such 92 was the very earliest VSS was used

s-10's i am unsure, but i doubt any VSS in them before 91 either

my brothers 92 700r4 s-10 4.3L vin code Z has VSs and this 92 i am working on with 2.8 TBI and the t-5 is VSS but i have yet to come across a 91 earlier with VSS

ive learned alot about this lately plenty enough ot know that the 92 i was working on is doomed because a good t-5 for it with VSs is next to impossible to find, and even if were found its price would be too high to warrant getting it

so truck will be taken to shredder most likely, and its too bad cuz it runs absultelyt perfectly smooth and quiet, like a brand new truck,

oh well,,

thanks

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Randy, I want an electronic speedo from 89-up truck if you come across one. I prefer with factory tach, but they are rare. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm..

i dunno on that, i left the truck and tranny laying out at the airport like two months ago, i dunno if any of it would still be out there,
    i could check if you still are looking for one of these, if its still out there, and if i am allowed ot take the trans and/or VSS from it

the trans is junk, busted up inside, i think all that was still connected in it was third gear, rest were gone

email me fastrrandy@gmail.com

dont PM me cuz i may never see the PM

thanks

13. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a t5 out of an 93 with the elect speedo. Its got a busted main gear. Anyone want to make me an offer on it. Its in my way and I sold the truck.

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Do you have the speedometer?

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If its on the tranny I've got it. I can go take a picture if you want and send it to you. The tranny I put back in it had the mechanical so I just left it all unhooked....for 8 years.

16. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I was thinking that it is a parts truck. I actually need the instrument cluster. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif