Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete thanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Apr 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

please delete this thread thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When I had to clean some cylinders I used very fine (0000) steel wool. No particle is going to be good going through the engine, and steel wool seems to stay together pretty good, especially the fine stuff. Those green pads from my experience seem to break apart into sand-like granules. With some WD40 or something to keep particles from "migrating" as easily while you scrub with steel wool, it seems that you can keep the area pretty clean.

One thing with 0000 steel wool is that it doesn't take much off of the surface, so you might want some more aggressive grade.

Just my $.02, gotta use what you have around. :)

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh yeah for initial stuff I just use a metal scraper. I think mines a paint scraper...steel but flexible, fairly sharp blade. Razor blade works to get small sections too.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

paper towel everything.... razorblade or scraper.. Roloc surface conditioning pads on a rightangle..... lacquer thinner... blowgun... straightedge to check deck surface...

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, if you paper towel your exposed areas it should never be an issue.... i've been doing it that way for years and haven't had a comeback. sounds like a bunk rumor to me... it certainly does a much more efficient job of it than a hand scrubber...

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I used paper towels in the oil valley and deck and as far as i could tell it didn't leave anything behind. Even if it did it would just burn up and get spit out.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

in that case, dont ever fire your engine up. that metal crank has metal main bearings it is riding on, and it has metal rods attached to it. those metal pistons have metal rings in metal bores. jeeze, sounds like a big wear prone mess to me. :screwy:

what does it matter anyways? you're going to post up next week about how you took it to the crusher anyways. :rolleyes:

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

sharp ass leatherman with knife, and paper towels.... all i needed and nothing was hurt.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Will scrap for crack....

Thats how many of our drug addicts are supporting their habits here--(the few willing to do any work that is,instead of robbing conveinience stores and cars)..they get a junk car by riding around and knocking on doors when they spy a vehicle in a yard with no plates--most of them have a ratty old ramp truck or beavertail,or a car trailer and a pickup that looks like it was rescued from the crusher!--

They seem to get all the desireable trucks and old muscle cars too,not just the typical econoboxes and rotted 80's cars--I've come away from the scrapyard pissed more than once after seeing a vintage GM truck or an old camaro,chevelle,etc,that were crushed because some boob got a hold of a nice rust free car,took it all apart,then abandoned the project,and let it sit for years in a shed or barn--then practically give it away!(even after refusing cash offers from people who care enough about them to restore them right! :screwy: )-

-I just done understand some people--they think because they failed at their attempt to restore a vehicle,its proper punishment to see it destroyed,rather than give another enthusiast a chance at it--what a waste of a good vehicle--I see it quite often,and it makes me sick to see a decent shell go to the crusher for no other reason than the former owners ignorance..then comes the crack addicts with their scrap wagons...R.I.P. old restorable vehicle.. :mad:

A "Letterman" is a tool that has a knife,pliers,sissors,etc,--its like a swiss army knife,21st century style--I'm sure you have seen one,just never heard it called by that brand name...

I havent done that many head gasket jobs myself--only done 3 or 4 --had good luck even with OEM gaskets ,my 307 in my van still has the original steel ones and its a 73! :blush: --wouldn't blame it if it started steaming next time I start it though--its been off the road since 12/03!

My friend who runs a repair shop does lots of head gasket jobs,mostly on ford 3.8's and Neons--all he ever uses is a sanding block with 36 grit paper to get the worst crud off,then uses 80 grit,and sprays everything off with a whole can of brakecleaner and blasts it off with the air hose!--he's been doing it that way for years,seems to work for him--the only comebacks were cars that had cracked heads or were warped badly,and the owners were willing to gamble it would not be a problem,too cheap to have the head straightened..or pressure tested--only about 1 out of 10 came back.. :crazy:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

diesel4me, what an ironic first paragraph. :rotfl:

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

DON'T use the scotch brite spinny pads that you put on a die grinder. Metal scraper on iron, tough plastic scraper on aluminum.