Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by R72K5, Mar 24, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

nmn,n

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: 97 cavalier, known issue with dimmer switch ?

been driving around and noticed that a certain position of the turn sig switch stalk will make the healamps go out and be dim or intermittently be out, if you set it in just the right position back toawrds you just beofre it clicks for brights then the regular headlamps will be on and ok, if you hold it there like that

im voting on the dimmer switch being messed up

sound right ?

remember everything for lights and brights are all on the turn signal switch stalk

sound like a common problem to anyone ?

thanks for anything

3. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

it sounds like you need to replace the lever, sounds like a short in the lever its self which wouldn't suprise me. did you get a recall notice on the ign switch? i have a 98 and got one last week that they need to be replaced if you ever have had problems with it cranking a few times before it starts, say it could go up in flames.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting, yeah he does have a problem now and then of it not starting yep, i dont own the car, it is in my posession until i can pinpoint what all needs replaced in the car and perform the repairs, i havent had a chance yet to do any researching on the internet or anything yet, i highly doubt he has gotten a notice about the ignition switch recall he has only had the car for a couple months or so, ill have to talk to him about that, im gonna call the local dealer and see what they will tell me, before i call though i am going ot look at NHTSA's site and see what all is listed for this particular year make and model. i assume that this is the actual electrical switch on the column and not the key lock switch

going to see what i can find out about either of these issues with this car

thanks for the reply i appreciate /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

http://www.recalldata.org/1997/index0002.shtml

details on the seven recalls on these cars.

also these recalls: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/971041GK.html

i called the dealer here and they said the recalls on this car were closed, IE meaning they performed the repairs to this car,
    but it still has a starting problem now and then, it hasnt doen it to me so far though,

dimmer switch is definitely worn out or something though,

thanks

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I don't know a common, but it does sound like there may be a broken/loose wire from the switch stalk.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i called two dealers today, one local and other out of town

the local dealer only needed last eight digiits of the vin code of the car to check to see if the recall fixes were performed on this car and tey said they were, i then caled the out of town small town dealer near here and they needed the entire vin code the check and they also said all had been performed on this car, so thats good then
    at leat i know the column wont mayb burn up or the air bag probably worn deploy at any given time for prety much no reason

i talkd a little to the small town dealer about the brights switch/regular headlights problem and he said once he had one in for that and they cleaned the contacts int he switch and it was goof doe a while after that, the handle is technically called a multifunction setup, new switch is 60 bucks, so he has option of me either taking apart and cleaning it up for now, or me putting in new,

hmm.

also i cant make the headlights dim out and stuff with the turn sgnal stalk, it just will do it once in a while, has only done it once for me so far and that was last night

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all better now, he bought a new headlight switch assembly, in which case is the entire turn signal arm assembly, its technically called a multi function switch assembly and is the entire thing with the cruise and headlights and brights and hazard lights switches, 60 bucks at the store, all better now, couldnt tell how worn and sloppy the old one really was until got the new one, theres a big difference between them /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    no more headlights dimming and intermittently failing and such /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks for all the input and info replies /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif