Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by R72K5, Apr 17, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

,kjhgfd

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 94 grand am 3.1L stopped firing the injectors

have you checked the crank sensor? the ecm need to know if the motor is turning over to fire the injectors

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    have you checked the crank sensor? the ecm need to know if the motor is turning over to fire the injectors

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought all the crank sensor is tied to is the spark timing ?

then what is the cam sensor for ? just an electrical ornament/decoration ?

hmmm

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think the cam sensor is for the spark timing. it could be the other way around though.

is the pump running while cranking? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always read and been told that crank sensor is for spark timing, i dunno.

pump is brand new we just put it in and it ran great and it is pumping and is pressure in the intake fuel rail and everything

the car ran fine after new pump until it went on errand to walmart and it died in the parking lot and hasnt ran since,. it ran perfect like always before that not a lick of trouble at all, the original AC delco pump died and we put in the new one all before this non-firing injector problem happened, like in the last few days this all happened

the old fuel filter it was so old that you cant blow any air through it in either direction, at all, completely blocked.

its no wonder why the original pump died

even the spark wires and plugs were original GM equipment

its crazy

thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

As I recall, the 3.1 has a separate fuse for the injectors. I used to unplug that fuse on my 3.1L Beretta GT when I was leaving it at the airport parking lot for long periods. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

fuses are all perfect, jsut checked every single one of them,

wire is reading ground with key all the way back into the off position , but when you turn on the ignition switch forward to on position and also hold the key in the crank engine position neither of the two wires at any of the injectors pulse or solid or anything at all, at least ground anyways

thanks for anything further

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

update:

we have hot at injectors during crank but no ground ever

also i need to find out if the cam sensor is tied into the injector electrical system

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The ignition module in the coil pack receives a signal from the crank position sensor, through the 3-pin connector on the module. The module then must send out a reference signal to the ECM for the ECM to know when to fire the injectors. Looking at a book for a '91 3.1L V6, it shows that the reference comes out of pin E of the 6-pin connector on the module. It's shown as a purple and white wire. If that wire doesn't pulse, then the injectors won't fire. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

neat thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i found out that there was no ground source in the black wire at injectors wire plug, so we found all the ground wires bolts ont he drivetraina nd loosened the bolts up and tightened them back up and now we have the engine running, but we noticed that the exhaust pressure out the tail pipes is really weak and extremely hot, more hot than it should be so we are pretty sure the cat converter is plugged up so tommorrow we are going to remove the converter and weld in a piec eof pipe, that should make it run like a whole new car.

ill posat back with results, ohg and i gave my stepdad a 92 cutlass suprem 3.1L coil pack setup and it made a big difference too, the car no longer misses like its got a dead cylinder.. phew! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    ]

11. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

might want to replace teh cat with another. back pressure and o2 sensor issues may make it necessary to have. all the late model crap i have worked on needed a cat or restrictor to keep the ecm happy. try the pipe with clamps and see if teh check eng light comes on or if it runs doggy. better than welding it in just to cut it back out.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok ill reccommend that to myu stepdad, we gonna do this here in a bit and see how she does after that, i expect a huge difference, this other 94 grans am i am driving right now we had to do exact same thing to cuz it was runnign extremely doggy and damn it runs like v-8 strong now. so,.,. it is a 2.3L quad 4 car, the one we workign on right now is 3.1L of course, so it should run like a 396 or 402 car hehe