Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delete

Discussion in 'Complete Vehicles' started by rblack, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rblack

rblack Registered Member

xxxxxxxx

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ummmm, if it truly has a 60 in the front, you might wanna mention it and go into some detail... Front 60 is your major selling point if it is one.

But I'm doubting that it is, and therefore should not be listed as a 1 ton...... People get annoyed with that... I drove 200 miles to look at a truck a guy swore was 1 ton, got there, 3/4 ton... I was peeved...

and pics, obviously would help...

3. rblack

rblack Registered Member

ryoken,
    I truly appreciate the input. I guess technically you are correct. I was thinking that because the rear end is actually stronger than a standard HD 14-bolt even without the full floating feature, well I guess I was thinking it's a 1-ton in 2 wheel drive. I don't know what you'd call it in four wheel mode. The jist of it is that the 1 ton crew cab duelly pick-ups of that same year used the same trans. transf. case and a rear end that is not as strong as this one.

Obviously yeah, it does have the 10-bolt up front. but that is also in the long description I have.

I'll go back and revisit my wording though.

All I know is I broke the stock rear end on the street three times before the warranty was up. By the fourth time I had to find a solution.

A 10-bolt rear has ABSOLUTELY no business......none at all, behind an SM465.
    Especially with the Eaton Gov-Loc. I feel it was a major screw up by the engineers at Chevrolet.

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate the input.
    I wish someone could wave a crystal ball now, and tell me wether I should sell it whole or in pieces.
    -Bob

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, to anyone serious about Blazers, that's a big deal... The 60 is a holy grail..

Just didn't wanna see you get in a spot... Good luck on the sale!

5. rblack

rblack Registered Member

ryoken-
    With all due respect, that may be, but I've never had a lick of trouble with my ARB equipped 10-bolt. I even had a 400lb reunel bumper on it for 6 yrs
    The trick is to restrain yourself within the differential and housings design limitations by not putting tires that are too large for it (ie; larger than 31"). I've traveled some of Colorado's most difficult passes with this configuration and as I mentioned in the ad. Chinaman's gulch and Iron Chest trail and never had a problem.

But. You're right, I guess. A 60 in the front would be some sweet insurance
    especially if you wanted to do some 'devil may care' wheelin'. I just thought I'd defend the old 10-bolt front ends that are on most of your Blazers. I think they deserve more credit.
    -b

6. rblack

rblack Registered Member

ryoken, anyone else who may have read this thread,
    My apologies, I made an error in one of my replies in this thread.

I woke up this morning and for some bizzare reason, without even looking it up, I remembered that the 1990 Crew Cab Duelly 4X4 came with a NP205 transfer case. So a previous statement I made was incorrect.

That's what happens when you reach middle age. It's been years since I was fully immersed in the 'research & building' phase of our hobby. Sometimes your brain has to let go of stuff to make room for other information.

I have altered the title of my ad to read 3/4 Ton. I think it's probably a fair description. Thank you, ryoken, for setting me straight.
    -Bob