Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dell laptop question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Dell laptop question **UPDATE at top**

One of the cooling fans in my laptop just failed. It's a Dell Inspiron 8200. Is this something I can fix myself, or am I gonna have to box it up and send it to them, and hope they don't kill my computer?

**UPDATE**
    Well, it seems that whatever device controls the fan is the likely culprit. The functioning fan isn't working right either; it comes on at full-speed after about 5 minutes of computer runtime and doesn't go back off. Normally, both fans are variable-speed and won't kick up to full-speed unless I've got 5-6 tasks open at once, or I'm playing a game. So I guess I'll be calling Dell "tech support" soon... and it's well out of the warranty.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

most laptops you can pop off the keyboard. just do a search for dell laptop keyboard removal or something. should be something you can handle yourself.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have had my Latitude apart. Not much to it. On mine, it comes apart from the bottom and each screw is marked for what it does- K for keyboard, M for memory, D for display, etc. BTW, how old is it? Might still be under warranty. Check out Dell.com and enter your service tag to find out.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its a pretty simple computer to pull appart, i say go for it.