Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delteq Distributorless Ignition System... Not Just for LT1's Anymore???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Jul 10, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Delteq Distributorless Ignition System... Not Just for LT1\'s Anymore???

For those of you not familiar with Delteq, http://www.delteq.com/ , they are somewhat famous in the 4th-Gen Camaro world for replacing the problematic LT1's OptiSpark distributor with a unique and powerful multi-coil Distributorless Ignition system.

I'm putting one on my '95 Z28 LT1 6-speed Camaro right now, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Delteq OptDirect System.

The reason I'm posting this here is that not only do some of you have LT1's planted in your off-road rigs, but I recently asked the good folks at Delteq if they could make their system work with non-LT1 applications (The OptDirect System uses the OptiSpark's Optical Crank Position Sensor.) such as HEI vehicles or even non-EFI or stand-alone-EFI systems.

The folks at Delteq answered a whole slew of questions for me for three, count them -3- months before I bought my system, if that tells you what their customer service is like!

So when I asked if they would be able to do any or all of the above, they said that they have new products in the works that may address some of the applications that I was inquiring about. Schweeeeet! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

So I thought I'd post here and see how many people would be interested in such a creature, and for what application. Their web site is very detailed, explains the OptiSpark and OptDirect systems in great detail, and has pricing for different applications.

The whole system is completely sealed and designed to stand up to severe punishment under the hood, so you mud boggers would love it, especially with no moving parts!

So /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif let me know and I'll email a link to this post to the Delteq folks so they can pipe in too!!!

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Delteq Distributorless Ignition System... Not Just for LT1\'s Anymore???

Well I'd be interested for either a 350TBI or if I ever get one, a 454TBI.

And based on the price so far it sounds like it's actually in my budget range too!

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I want to see one for a Gen III GM small block, that way I could run a Carb manifold with my TBI on it and not have to worry about making my own ignition system.

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to see one for a Gen III GM small block, that way I could run a Carb manifold with my TBI on it and not have to worry about making my own ignition system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, what are you up to with the GenIII and TBI setup? It's fairly obvious that you're putting a GenIII into an older K5 or similar rig, but just for my (and I'm sure others') interest in what sounds like a cool swap, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif <font color="red"> DETAILS </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ???

Check out this guy's LTCC http://www.bailey-eng.com/ ...

This is designed to use the LT1's crank position sensor and adapt the GenIII's coil packs to an LT1... This might be closer to what you're looking for, although it's made for the LT1. You might talk to Bob and see if he could adapt it for your use. He may do it for free since it seems there could be a good market for it. Although it probablywouldn't be nearly as refined or as 'backed', for lack of a better term, as the Delteq stuff is. That's why I went with the Delteq instead of the LTCC. I hear good things about the LTCC too, it's just sort of a "Here's the box, good luck with it." sort of thing, where the Delteq is a complete solution, with good backing and customer support from the company that makes it.

I am NOT at all bashing the LTCC or the man who makes it by any means, nor could I because I haven't ever met him, spoken to him, or purchased anything from him... In fact I hear that Bob Bailey is a very knowledgeable man and is a good guy to boot, and obviously he knows a lot more about electronics that I do! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I made my decision based solely on what I read from searches on CamaroSS.com first, then when I was pretty sure I wanted to go with the Delteq I started emailing them directly.

BTW, http://www.CamaroSS.com/ is a great place to search and post about these products and get lots of info on them, although it's almost like Pirate as far as AssClowns posting "Do a Search" even though you already did a search and came up with 1,204 useless posts and of course there will be 50 replies by idiots wanting to argue with you for every 1 useful post. It's not as bad as Pirate, but it's getting there. I really haven't posted much there fore a couple of years, so maybe it isn't as bad as it used to be, I know they had some major changes about a year ago, but I never gave them another shot. Anyways, there are ALSO always used LTCC's and OptiSparks and other parts for sale cheap because people have upgraded or whatever. Haven't seen a Delteq for sale there used yet because the Delteq just hit the market in like April of this year!

But I'm pretty sure by Monday Pete or somebody from Delteq will pipe in and, I may step on my own dick here, but I'd even bet that if he thinks the LTCC is better for your application, he'll say so. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Damn, you'd think I'm getting a commission or something on the Delteqs... Pete???

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What does distributorless ignition really buy you? I'm obviously not very familiar with it, but it seems like all you're really doing is getting rid of the high voltage plug wires and adding a bunch of coils?

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What does distributorless ignition really buy you? I'm obviously not very familiar with it, but it seems like all you're really doing is getting rid of the high voltage plug wires and adding a bunch of coils?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a Lot, or maybe nothing, depending on your application...

For us folks with LT1's, it gets rid of the OptiSpark distributor, which has many design flaws, requires major disassembly to replace, is very expensive, and is very likely to fail again if you replace it with another stock one. The LT1 Optispark distributor is very different from the traditional HEI in its design, shape and location: It mounts to the face of the engine block, behind the water pump, but it still has a cap and rotor, which fail miserably for a number of reasons. Delteq's web site goes into great detail on the OptiSpark, it's design flaws, how it fails, and how the Delteq Opti-Direct System fixes these problems.

In general though, speaking to a distributorless ignition system whether it's Delteq or Bob's Discount Ignition Systems, a Distributorless System (DS) has no moving parts. It is all solid state electronics, and is run by an ignition module, the computer, or both, to fire the coil(S) at the right time. The DS uses a sensor of some kind, usually a Crankshaft Position Sensor, (but there are others, such as camshaft, etc.) to know when to fire the right plug.

The greatest advantage is that there are no moving parts. Nothing to wear out, tune up, or set up when you rebuild an engine. It's all sealed, so get it wet and muddy in your favorite Mud Bog, powerwash it off, no problem.

Another benefit to engine swappers is that without the distributor sticking up in the back of a small block chevy, you can move the engine back several inches farther if you're putting a chevy engine where it was never designed to fit.

In the case of the Delteq, which is a 4-coil system, you get more power out of the system because each coil has more time to recharge before it has to fire again, compared to say an HEI system where the same coil has to fire every plug.

Really the only down side that I can see, although I disagree with it, is that it's all electronic. If it goes out, you're stranded unless you have a spare module with you, which really wouldn't be cost prohibitive, but would be much more expensive than carrying an extra HEI ignition module or an extra set of points. I'm just arguing this side of the debate because I know there are others out there who believe in the "Simpler the Better" philosophy, and I respect that. I tend to fall somewhere in the middle.

Somebody else pipe in here... I'm no expert by any means on this subject. I'm not even done installing my FIRST distributorless ignition system, so I won't be an expert for at least another week!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif BTW, the Delteq is actually very easy to install, and the amount of time it has taken me to install mine is purely a reflection of my busy homelife, the weather, and my health, NOT the complexity of the installation... In fact, I only have to put the plug wires on now and hopefully I'll get to hear the damned car run again! I won't have time until the weekend again though... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info. In the case of an SBC, where would the timing info come from? Would there be a sensor attached in where the distributor goes, or would it attach to the crank on the front of the motor?

It seems like the sensor is still kind of like a moving part since it's got to measure rotations somehow. It's less of a moving part than a rotor, and the clunky rotor to cap contact thing is eliminated. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif All the extra coils might make for a lot of clutter though. Are they right next to the plugs near headers, etc?

9. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Just don't speed:

&gt;A hi-tech device that can bring speeding cars to a halt at &gt;the flick of a switch is set to become the latest weapon &gt;in the fight against crime.
    &gt;Police forces in Britain and the US have ordered tests of &gt;the new system that delivers a blast of radio waves &gt;powerful enough to knock out vital engine electronics, &gt;making the targeted vehicle stall and slowly come to a &gt;stop.

&gt;David Giri, who left his position as a physics professor &gt;at the University of California in Berkeley to set up a &gt;company called ProTech, is developing a radio wave vehicle-&gt;stopping system for the US marine corps and the Los &gt;Angeles police department.

&gt;Tomorrow, at the Euroem 2004 science conference in &gt;Germany, Dr Giri will describe recent trials of the &gt;device. The tests proved that the system could stop &gt;vehicles from up to 50 metres away.

&gt;The bulk of the device is designed to fit in a car boot &gt;and consists of a battery and a bank of capacitors that &gt;can store an electrical charge. Flicking a switch on the &gt;dashboard sends a burst of electricity into an antenna &gt;mounted on the roof of the car. The antenna then produces &gt;a narrow beam of intense radio waves that is directed at &gt;the vehicle ahead.

&gt;When the radio waves hit the targeted car, they induce &gt;surges of electricity in its electronics, upsetting the &gt;fuel injection and engine firing signals. "It works on &gt;most cars built in the past 10 years, because their &gt;engines are controlled by computer chips," said Dr &gt;Giri. "If we can disrupt the computer, we can stop the &gt;car." A prototype is due to be ready by next summer.

I'll stick with my nice, simple HEI, TYVM.

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info. In the case of an SBC, where would the timing info come from? Would there be a sensor attached in where the distributor goes, or would it attach to the crank on the front of the motor?

It seems like the sensor is still kind of like a moving part since it's got to measure rotations somehow. It's less of a moving part than a rotor, and the clunky rotor to cap contact thing is eliminated. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif All the extra coils might make for a lot of clutter though. Are they right next to the plugs near headers, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go with a 'Coil per Cylinder' design like the LS1 coils adapted to an LT1, yes, the coils make a lot of clutter. With the Delteq, you can mount the 4 couilpacks anywhere and run your plug wires to them. Mine will be mounted near the bottom of my radiator support, and the plugs will be routed under the block, under the manifolds (or headers when I get them) and in fact you won't be able to see any of the entire ignition system from the top of the engine bay when I'm finished with it. Not even the plug boots or plug wires.

Timing info can be taken from anywhere... On aftermarket systems, I'm not too familiar. However, I've been on a lot of design projects with OEM frontcovers, oilpans, cam covers, etc., and the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, etc., is usually just a little plug that fits in about a 1/4" sized hole somewhere that it can "see" or "line up with" a mark or other geometry such as an octagonal ring on the snout of the crank or cam, and is held in place by a single, very small bolt. Usually sealed by an O-Ring. I'll try to dig up a picture of one.

Since the crank and/or cam(s) are already moving parts, I wasn't really considering them in the grand scheme of things. The sensor just peeks in through a hole and watches them doing what they've always been doing. And counts really really really really really fast!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

About the hole where say the HEI distributor was, you would still need to use part of the HEI distributor to fill the hole, and also to use the HEI drive gear to connect the cam gear to the oil pump drive shaft. In the LT1 motors, there is a little 'nubbin' inside the lifter valley that does this job specifically, but it is bolted in place inside the lifter valley and does not protrude through the intake. The LT1 intake has a boss where the distributor used to go through the older engines, but it's not machined IIRC.

If I were doing it, I'd go ahead and leave the HEI distributor in there to drive the oil pump, and put a cap on it without any guts in it, and run spark plug wires coming off it, then route the plug wires into a big vacuum manifold in the intake, just to screw with people. Tell them I came up with an awesome new 'Pre-Ignition' system that gives the firing sequence a hot charge to go with, blah blah blah, etc. Just to see how many people I could fool... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

But anyways, I also mentioned that the 'Coil per Cylinder' thing could get messy if you go that route with the LTCC swap. IIRC, the LSX motors use a coil directly on top of each plug, making a very neat and cozy installation if you have an LSX motor, as in the swap above if that's what you're up to... Again, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif <font color="red"> DETAILS </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Please!!!

OK, the Wife was bitching at me through that whole response, so if it didn't make sense or was completely wrong somewhere, please point it out and let me know...

More Below...

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why not go directly to the source at http://www.electromotive-inc.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks very similar to the Delteq system, although I can't tell whether it's a standalone ignition system or if it depends on their other engine management components.

Can you tell me more about it, if you have one, if you've seen one installed and driven the vehicle, or any experience first hand that you have with it at all? It looks like a very well engineered system, or group of systems...

Man, dragging info out of people in this post is like pulling teeth!!! Don't be so shy people!!! Let the Ignition Knowledge Flow! Don't keep it bottled up inside, it will just turn you into a timebomb! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Someday you'll be on your deathbed, and your last breath will sadly whisper to your Grandkids, "I wish I'd talked about ignition systems more on CK5.com." /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Don't let this happen to YOU!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

12. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just don't speed:

&gt;A hi-tech device that can bring speeding cars to a halt at &gt;the flick of a switch is set to become the latest weapon &gt;in the fight against crime.
    &gt;Police forces in Britain and the US have ordered tests of &gt;the new system that delivers a blast of radio waves &gt;powerful enough to knock out vital engine electronics, &gt;making the targeted vehicle stall and slowly come to a &gt;stop.

&gt;David Giri, who left his position as a physics professor &gt;at the University of California in Berkeley to set up a &gt;company called ProTech, is developing a radio wave vehicle-&gt;stopping system for the US marine corps and the Los &gt;Angeles police department.

&gt;Tomorrow, at the Euroem 2004 science conference in &gt;Germany, Dr Giri will describe recent trials of the &gt;device. The tests proved that the system could stop &gt;vehicles from up to 50 metres away.

&gt;The bulk of the device is designed to fit in a car boot &gt;and consists of a battery and a bank of capacitors that &gt;can store an electrical charge. Flicking a switch on the &gt;dashboard sends a burst of electricity into an antenna &gt;mounted on the roof of the car. The antenna then produces &gt;a narrow beam of intense radio waves that is directed at &gt;the vehicle ahead.

&gt;When the radio waves hit the targeted car, they induce &gt;surges of electricity in its electronics, upsetting the &gt;fuel injection and engine firing signals. "It works on &gt;most cars built in the past 10 years, because their &gt;engines are controlled by computer chips," said Dr &gt;Giri. "If we can disrupt the computer, we can stop the &gt;car." A prototype is due to be ready by next summer.

I'll stick with my nice, simple HEI, TYVM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of this... What's it's 'Pet Name' or nickname that I can search for on the web? Sounds like more of a type of thing they'd use only in severe situations like tire spikes and such, because it's probably going to total the car.

And I'd bet your HEI module would get fried by it too... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What the heck is 'TYVM' ??? I guess I'm not as 'Internet Savvy' as I thought I was!

Knowing next to nothing about it, on gut instinct alone, I'm going to give it a '3 out of 10' on the 'Paul Dearringer Survival Scale'... I see too many things wrong with it.

/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif For one thing, it's not "Point and Shoot Simple", and anything that's not super easy to use gets put on a shelf and ignored by the majority of cops.

/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif Firing basically microwave levels of radio at a moving vehicle? Spike strips are one thing... and even they are only slightly effective. But handing a microwave oven on a stick to your local law enforcement? How many innocent bystanders will get fried before this new gadget gets banned for life?

/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif If you have the opportunity to power this thing up, get a clean shot at the oncoming vehicle, fire a perfect kill shot, and bring the bad guys to a leisurely stop, why didn't you have time to shoot out 2 tires and fire several rounds into the radiator? Cost of 10 rounds? I think 20 HydraShoks are about $15? How much do you think this new toy will cost in tax dollars?

OK, so I'm treading into unknown territory with nothing but ignorance to back my argument here, but I'm betting it's just the latest gimmic that's being tested, but probably won't amount to anything. Of course, Lidar was a gimmic too, it is incredibly innacurate, it is misused and gives false tickets by the thousands, and it's become the Judge's best friend in court. Even though there is data on top of data on top of confessions by Lidar manufacturers that it is in many ways less accurate than radar... Who knows... When the government's pockets get a little empty, more tickets will be given regardless of whether you're speeding or not.

OK, Bubba, FRY me!!! I've needed a good Ass-Chewin' for quite a while now! And I'm WAY behind on posting polls!

Man, what was this post originally about, anyways???

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just don't speed:... ...I'll stick with my nice, simple HEI, TYVM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and BTW, I really love EFI, and all the cool things like 25mpg/300hp that comes with it, but I'll tell you what, there's nothing like the simple beauty of my K5's HEI, Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries, Edelbrock Intake, Power Steering and Alternator belts (2 belts, count them... TWO!), and everything else is completely mechanical. Turn key. Pump gas. Fuel ignites. Truck goes. Every time. No Encyclopedia of Service Manuals. Troubleshooting rarely means more than looking around under the hood. Parts are rarely more than $20. (I think the HEI ignition module is about $11?)

But... I really Love the Camaro and the Computer is a new challenge with the potential to make lots of power without ever turning a wrench. Or to make a LOT of power with the parts you put on and then tuned 3 or 4 times with the computer to optomize them.

And look at this... The next big thing that I personally think will revolutionize the powertrain will be the complete loss of the valvetrain and its mechanical drive. It's a race right now to see who can get a multi-valve engine to run on valves that are completely operated by solenoids wrapped directly around the valve stems themselves. That means NO pushrods, NO rocker arms, NO cams, NO connection between the shortblock and the valves at all!

So then you can have the best of both worlds... You can putt around town with your 5-valve, V12 engine getting awesome gas mileage through the local cruise spots, but then when you put your foot in it, the computer unleashes unholy hell and the valves open fast, as long as possible, then snap shut at the last moment, getting the most massive air/fuel charge it can cram into the chamber...

But it doesn't stop there... Cruising at 90 on the interstate the computer can adjust for the climate and weather, road conditions, and still get awesome mileage. But when you want to go from 100-150mph, again the computer will open it as open as it can get...

And get this... There will be NO throttle blade(s). The computer will adjust the idle and rev the engine based on inputs from the Loud Pedal. It will adjust the idle based on how far the intake valve(s) open. It can completely close them if it wants to. Frank Forbid, the Engine will be so intelligent that it will have Free Will!!! Think how barbaric our old engines, even the awesome engines coming off assembly lines right now, will be compared to something that amazing. And it's only a matter of time before someone makes it work.

So building an engine will consist of your lower end short block, heads, valves, and solenoids. Intake will only be carrying air of course, and that's it. Computers will then completely rule my entire life. If only I could somehow get them to control my Wife... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Man, I better get to bed. I'm really rambling now...

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

This is a variant of what is generally known as a "HERF gun". It won't fry HEI modules, because they are already exposed to open spark, which emits a lot of High-Energy Radio Frequencies. It is pretty point-and-shoot simple, since all you have to do is be directly behind the vehicle. It's not microwave, so it won't hurt people (only high-frequency RF can affect living organisms. This will be lower-frequency, and cover a lot of the bandwidth, so people around this thing will hear it on their radios when it fires), and it's not expensive. You can get the plans for one of these on the web, and the parts from Radio Shack. Since it can't hurt people, and is based on simple components, it will probably be far more cost-effective to use than firing off a bunch of rounds hoping to hit the tires (and how exactly do you propose to hit the fleeing car's radiator from behind?).

This thing mainly affects complex electronic circuitry, which is why it will bollix on-board computers. The only downside is that many OBCs have a "limp mode" which will allow the engine to keep running in the event of total computer failure. However, all is not lost. This thing will be stunningly effective against those "boom cars" you see everywhere: head units and amps would go up in smoke instantly if hit.

Oh, and TYVM = Thank You Very Much

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is a variant of what is generally known as a "HERF gun". It won't fry HEI modules, because they are already exposed to open spark, which emits a lot of High-Energy Radio Frequencies. It is pretty point-and-shoot simple, since all you have to do is be directly behind the vehicle. It's not microwave, so it won't hurt people (only high-frequency RF can affect living organisms. This will be lower-frequency, and cover a lot of the bandwidth, so people around this thing will hear it on their radios when it fires), and it's not expensive. You can get the plans for one of these on the web, and the parts from Radio Shack. Since it can't hurt people, and is based on simple components, it will probably be far more cost-effective to use than firing off a bunch of rounds hoping to hit the tires (and how exactly do you propose to hit the fleeing car's radiator from behind?).

This thing mainly affects complex electronic circuitry, which is why it will bollix on-board computers. The only downside is that many OBCs have a "limp mode" which will allow the engine to keep running in the event of total computer failure. However, all is not lost. This thing will be stunningly effective against those "boom cars" you see everywhere: head units and amps would go up in smoke instantly if hit.

Oh, and TYVM = Thank You Very Much

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh... Lots of good info there... I may read up on this and try to build one... I'll use it for Good, and NOT Evil, of course!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've seen the word "Boot", and now "Bollix", and "Boom Cars", so I have to guess you're from across the pond, or at least spent some time there. I worked on a project in Presteigne for about 2 years, so most of my emails were to the guys I was working with over there during that time, and I eventually just signed all my emails with "Cheers, Paul" and it's kinda stuck. Cool Place over there with the castles and all.

And if you're shooting from behind the car, your target should be the gas tank!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I thought the 'limp home mode' was also part of the computer's circuitry or programmed into the chip, in which case even that would be disabled. I suppose it could vary widely depending on what make/model/year of vehicle...

I think the "Boom Cars" should be targeted even if they're not breaking the law or running from the police! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I still encourage the firing of live rounds in any case. Sort of like how a quality bottle of vodka goes with anything. .45 ACP Hydrashoks fired alongside any other high-powered gadget just fits like steak and potatos.

Hope all of my Technical Knowledge on the subject has been helpful. Or more likely my lack of knowledge on the subject has been full of something else... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to have one of those things--I have plenty of moving targets thumping around here,those damm riceburners with the 5000 watt stereos and trombone exhaust pipes that cruise around town at all hours,especially in the 12 midnight to 3 am time period-dont theese people ever sleep??
    If it works on harleys and crotch rockets,it would be my favorite toy--sick of the noise around here!.
    I have read about those radio wave devices years ago,they say any car from 82 up that has a computer can be disabled with one--I wonder what it would do to grandpa's pacemaker?? they warn you to avoid microwave ovens when you have one--hate to see an innocent bystander get snuffed !.
    Guess all the crooks will have to use getaway cars equipped with points and a four barrel carb,or a diesel with mechanical injection if they want to get away!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

"Boot" came from the original article, "Boom cars" came from another article I read, that probably also came from UK, and which seemed an appropriate name for those obnoxious things. "Bollix" I have always used, and as far as I know is common American usage. I think you may be confusing "bollix" (to mess something up) with "bollocks" (limey-speak for bullsh*t, or a reference to testicles). I got "Bollix" from the old "Car Wars" game, where the term referred to a device that acted remarkably similar to the device talked about in this article.