Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delvac 1

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 73k5blazer, Jan 29, 2002.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is anyone using this stuff? I've been running Mobil1 15W-40 with a Mobil 1 filter and draining at 7500mi in my '97 6.5TD. I'm thinking of switching to Delvac1, it's supposed to be better for Diesel engines. I'm a little concerned with the 5W-40 viscosity rating, however, the Specs on the Delvac1 website http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/index.html say it maintains it's high viscosity at higher temperatures? Am I reading that right??
    Anyhow, just wondering what you all thought of this stuff and what you thinks does the best job?

BlazerMan

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

IMHO Delvac is the good stuff. Synthetic is great but expensive and still must be changed regularly because of the soot build-up. (that's why it's so damn black). A good diesel oil is supposed to keep the soot in suspension. I hadn't heard of Delvac 5W-40 (I'm still using 15W-40), but I would worry about it. It's got to get really hot for a multi viscosity to break down (maybe if you 6.2 was aircooled...) And the 5W sounds really good on them COLD January mornings.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a> there is TONS of posts about oil brands/ syntetics etc...

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!