Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dent pullers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 17, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Besides the one that you weld on, the screw type that you have to put a hole in your rig to use, and the large suction cup type that only works on large dents, what options are there for dent pulling devices?

(No, I didn't put a dent in my DD rig attempting to 'wheel, the B piller got smashed by a shopping cart, I swear) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

what you mentioned is all I can think of. Some say Dry ice will work if it is not severe. Never tried probably BS.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm open to suggestions, even Snap-On this time. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It's getting re-painted in the spring because someone vandalized it anyway, I just need to know how to take care of the dent first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

whats the chances you can get to the back side and tap it out?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

haven't pulled the interior yet, but probably slim to none. It's the B pillar...basically the side of the cab behind the passenger door.

If I could get behind it, I think I could knock it out completely.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

your not missing any really.

the stud welded ones are the shiznit but expensive.. heck, i don't even own one, the last shop i worked at had one tho. the screw style ones work ok. mines a cheapy, but wouldn't mind a slightly better one.

the heavy 5lb ones are nice to have, also known as morgan knockers. but thats not what you'd want anyway.

thats a bad spot. the drilled slide hammer will be your best bet. can be done ok, not really a hack. some strategics holes, mig em up when done.

they do make a series of pop out bars that work ok if you can slide them behind the panel from a hole somewhere, they work well on door panels. but that B pillar will be too stiff for those anyway..

7. cybrfire

I'd do my dambdest to get behind it. It seems if you have to weld they rust their on the inside later no matter what you do. I'd rather holesaw the inside to gain access with a t shaped punch and pop it out. Or you can always leave it dented for character!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I want to sell the truck after it gets repainted, so character adding dents in this rig are a no go.

I really shouldn't have put this rig where I did, its my own damn fault, I went really slow and somehow missed the mirror and door, which are the easy spots, and caught the b pillar. The box side would be much better.

Maybe I'll try to go from the inside. Sounds like my best bet at this point.

The idea was to not drill holes or weld on it to get this dent out. I don't think the large suction type one is going to get it either. Luckily, this dent is quite large, and I think it missed the body line, so it might come out from the back.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

friwends of mine had the same thing happen to them with there bmw shoping cart to the door they had it pulled by the dealer for 50 bucksd and it did nothing to the paint, it was like some kind of moter ised suction that atached and pulled he said it took like 10 min and they dident have to take anything apart

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm i should use the suction cup one on my pass. door thats a pretty large dent on there...

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hammer and dolley!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On a Chevy truck...a dent puller is rarely needed..
    finesse-ing the dents with body tools works well... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not a Chevy truck....I wish it was!!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TTT, open to further suggestions