Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Denver Emissions test

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Wether or not the Suburban will pass it is the determining factor on if it goes now. If it can't, I can't afford the $700 cap to fix it so I'll have to sell it down here. How hard is it to pass? Any tips....or any lenient shops you know of?

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Does it burn oil? If not, I'd recommend bring it. Do a tune-up & run some Lucas fuel treatment. Then, make sure the vehcile is nice and hot. Hotter cat's work better.

I'd bring it & try. You get a free retest and I've never failed more than once.

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

If it's running well it should pass no problem as long as the air pump and cat are still on it. Make sure you have a fresh oil change and clean air filter. Toss in a quick tune up and make sure it's hot when you get it tested like Mark said. Oh, and make sure your air pump is sending air to the exhaust. That one kicked my butt for about a week and a half when I had to have my blazer tested. :blush:

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You will want to put on some smaller tires, though. Someone around here should have a set to borrow, but you mentioned smaller tires for the drive up, though.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Mine passed, with a VERY leaky head gasket, and running rich. You gotta have a REALLY nasty problem to fail round here, and I do know of a good place, thru my mechanic. Lemme know. :D

6. 89GMCSuburban

Totally awesome, I'll have dinky 235/85/16 on it for the trip, it has no air pump cause it is TBI.
    Burns no oil at all, no black smoke, so from what ya'll say I think it'll do well.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you should do just fine. If you fail, I'll rent you one of my vehicles :D

8. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the 89's, but my 87 tbi 305 (the torque MONSTER! :surepal: ) and the 88 tbi 5.7 I pulled from a suburban for my 79 truck both have air pumps. I don't know your situation (first owner of your burb?) but you might want to check the req's. If you need one and don't have one you'll fail as soon as they open the hood, no matter what comes out the exhaust. It's stupid I know, but it's what we have to deal with.

9. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

I know that 90 & 91 burbs and blazers, and maybe other chevys don`t have air pumps. My 91 blazer did not come with one from the factory, nor did my buddys burb.
    Just make sure you have your cat on the exhaust, and you should pass.
    I did my etest a few months ago, and they told me that your tires can`t messure more than 36 inch`s, so if you have 38`s, but theyr eally messure 36, then you can use them.

10. 89GMCSuburban

The exhaust manifolds have no holes for an air pump inlet. The bracket is there for one, but none came on it when I bought it. I am the second owner of this beast.

11. 89GMCSuburban

Do they automatically fail you if your "check engine" light comes on?
    The problem I have is when its warmed up and I come to a stop for more than 20 seconds, the check engine light comes on and shows a "rich" code. I've replaced the o2 sensor twice and a tuneup didn't solve it. Even has a new EGR and EGR Solenoid on it and it still does it. Any ideas?

12. 89GMCSuburban

Ahhh, some research answered my own question. Check engine light on doesn't make it fail. :D
    Still need to try and fix the problem...any ideas?

13. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Something with the idle circuit maybe (since it happens at a stop)?