Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Denver wants to buy a military armored vehicle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't mind having one myself. I'lllbet the sh**heads on the interstate would calm down. :D

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And of course kudos to the outstanding journalist that got that pic since it's a VISMOD vehicle from NTC........................................... :doah:

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You Might Be An Armor Nerd If ...

So I'm a bit out of touch ... is that an M113, and what's it tweaked to look like, a BMP or whatever the Warsaw Pact vehicle is?

-- A

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Not an armor nerd, just was trained on 113's and was stationed at NTC for awhile.

That is indeed a 113, with a VISMOD kit to look like a BMP. It's an NTC vehicle. They started testing them when I was down there, I guess they figured it was more cost effecient to switch over to them, plus better fire control compared to the old, beat up Sheridans we were using when I was down there.

The Sheridans I was on was two years younger than I was, and we usually went straight to the mechanics for some BS (usually involved pulling pack at 0-dark thirty). The fire control systems on them were crap also. IIRC, they used the Bradley fire control systems on these "new" vehicles, plus there's more room and I think they were going to try and carry dismounts like the real BMP's would. Of course, the 113 has more room than a real BMP. The Soviets were kind of strange with their vehicles. The BMP's were really small and I refused to try to get into one and I tried on a T-72 gunner station. I was about 60 pounds lighter back then and I thought they were gonna have to get the torch so I could get out of the turret. :D

6. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

My condolences. Have you been able to live down that tragic time of your life. :D

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Sort of. Nine months of my life, so it wasn't too bad. :D

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Yep and all you have to do is a google image search for m113 to be overwhelmed with better pictures