Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Depdog......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Aug 10, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

did you put steel reinforcement behind your sheetmetal when you put on your tire carrier? i've got a new one, and i want to know what to do before i put it on.
    thanks ...Kelboski

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I built my tire carrier, it pivots off of the rear bumper I made. I did weld a piece of plate onto the tailgate where the tire carrir buts up against it. I am going to re engeneer that part to make it work better, still get a little wiggle in it and some banging up against it.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

shoud i have some pieces of steel cut to fit behind the body, so my body metal does'nt warp over time from the weight of the tire carrier....where it attaches to the body? i have a friend who owns a welding business, so it would be easy to get the pieces of metal.?
    Kelboski

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you are talking about the tire carrier that mounts to the bed corner on the outside above and below the tire carrier. Anything you can do to reinforce that area, and or spread out the load would make it last a lot longer.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com