Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DEQ help.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok my truck has 0 emiisions gear, its an 84.. i need cats, is there any sort of trick to get me through DEQ, i have no family members who live on farms so that trick wont work, what can i do? thx

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

"sell" it to me/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Silver84k5

is that a possiblility? cuz my dad is bitchin at me like no tommorow to get tags for the thing, and i just got a ticket last weekend, for it.... lucky i didnt get a DUI in the process,

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Will your state let you pass without the smog equipment if you pass the sniffer? SBC usually run pretty clean if they are running right (good carb, and dont burn oil) even without the emissions equip. My truck will pass the sniffer without any emissions equipment. Something to look into anyways.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

DEQ.....? Is that like an Oregon "smog check".... or safety inspection?

I dunno what to tell you....I was surprised when I bought my K5 up there. I went to a gas station and went to pump my own gas, and all the station attendants "freaked out"!!!! I'm not quite sure WHY, but you hafta let them pump your gas for some reason..... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Are there any "exempt" years like in California? Here, anything that's pre-74 model year doesn't have to deal with inspections....... that creates MONDO demand for the early K5's in my opinion.....

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yes it's our version of a smog check, only some cities have it. And yes it is Oregon law that they pump your gas..weird but it gives people jobs. It's pre 74 as well I believe. i don't really know on the years cus I'm excempt in Eugene, but my 79 should have cats if I do exhaust work on it. A shop can't remove them but Joe Smoe can do to his own all he wants.

7. Silver84k5

damn hillsboro is smaller then Eugene, i should be exempt,
    If your doesnt smoke, or smell out of the ordinary it should pass, One more thing i dont want to have to worry about

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Take it through and see if it passes. If it doesn't then start looking for tricks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You may be sweating over nothing. If it doesn't pass you may need to get some of the gear, cats + smog pump +etc. Or, if you transfer the title to someone you know outside of the deq area and let them register it then transfer it back to you that should cover it.
    Good luck,
    -Aaron

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

This is by far the best trick I have found to get around the DEQ BS.
    Move out of the Portland Metro area.
    So I have to drive 52 miles to work one way, I also pay $800 in rent for a large 3 bedroom 2 full bathroom house on 3 acres.
    And I drive the K5 to work.
    But I just got ahold of a killer deal on a Geo ( freakin ugly).
    But It is only $450 with a blown engine ....
    The new engine on a crate comes with it.
    Even if all my rigs were inspection worthy I still would not live in Portland.
    But since it sounds like ya live with your folks I would call your local station and ask what is required to pass inspection.
    I might call em tomorrow just to see, I have never bothered with it.
    the last time I lived in Portland was 1986.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If Hillsburrito requires a sniffer test (and I think it does) you're gonna have to put cats on. Catco cats from Summit are about $50 each.

Legality is a good thing, by the way, IMHO. You wonder how we can see Mt. Hood from downtown and in Calif they can't see the buildings a half mile away for the brown smog? Keep it legal and clean. Cats do NOT rob you of power, my truck has dual cats and I wouldn't have it any other way.

11. Silver84k5

They dont rob any power? that was the main reason i havent put any on yet heh also the guy at the muffler shop said, put only one cat on it, or something like that maybe he said two cats, but he also said that to make it duel pipes he would have to put both pipes coming out of the same side of the truck, i hate that look, cant i just put a cat on one side and a cat on the other keep the pipes coming out of the same spot they are in nwo and call it quits?

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yes, you can put one cat on one side and one on the other............he must be smokin' good stuff or misunderstood something. Most true duals are one muffler/cat on each side, like my truck.

I remember hearing somewhere cats rob like 5hp at the top end ~ 5000 rpm. Don't think that's significant. JMHO

13. Silver84k5

so like a tube from each header, go into the same muffler, then two tubes come out and each have a cat, then out the back of the truck? why not 2 mufflers? wouldnt that be better airflow?

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I saw that the other day on a blazer with both pipes coming out the same side and I didn't like it. I saw a f@rd awhile ago with four pipes coming out one side(don't ask) and it looked hilarious../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Silver84k5

lol 4 out one side........i want Stacks coming out over the roof like a Semi

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No man, each side has a header...........and a cat..............and a muffler................along with tailpipes, hangers and $hit. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Got it?

17. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Oregan...Republic of California....
    Glad I live out in the boonies(OKC) to get your vehicle legal here all you need is to mail in a copy of your insurance and they'll mail your yearly tag sticker to you, no inspection stickers anymore. Heehaw open headers baby/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif and all the smoke you can handle.

18. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

This may sound weird, but I promise it works. I did it myself when my truck would not pass the emmissions test. Go down to you local small airport, and buy about 5 gal of av-gas. It is leaded, so their machines can't read the stuff. Mix the av-gas with about 5 gal regular gas in your tank, and run the test. My truck passed with results like a 4 banger car. The people looked at me really funny, but I passed. Try it. It works.

19. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Frank
    Personaly I believe that cats are a waste of money.
    And yes I am speaking from experience.
    When I was in Florida the shop next door to us had a 4 gas analizer, and back then the emmissions there was a PITA.
    My rig had a cat that was hollowed out and a straight pipe running through the middle of it and it was still way below the maximum reqirements.
    nothing fancy done to get it to pass just drive up and stick the wand up the ol wazoo.
    Provided the rig was in good running condition I could get any rig to pass.
    even the worn out ones I could get to pass but they ran like hell getting to the station and then I would have to set em up again.
    But for a rig that has a decent plant there is no reason that it has to have a cat to be "clean"
    If the carb and ignition is set up properly it will pass with flying colors.
    cat or no cat, the first year I had that rig it pased with a cat, the next year I went through with the modified one and it did even better.
    All of the emmissions were 50% or less than the maximum.
    Of course having the 4 gas was handy in tuning a rig.
    I did learn one about DEQ today.
    The gal that drives the gut wagon failed today and she didn't even get the sniff test or a visual.
    The first thing they did was plug into the ECM and it gave them a couple of fualt codes.
    Automatic fail.

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good points, Ron.

Only point I am going to stick to is it is illegal to not run them in an area that is DEQ tested.

I realize you can make the adjustments to get a vehicle to pass the sniffer, they won't, however, pass the visual for a cat if one isn't there. Getting it to pass with tweaking and leaning it out to barely run is different from it running well and passing. Having to adjust it after a DEQ test illustrates to me that it will not be legal or running clean.

Maybe I'm a bit conservative on this one, but if having cats improves the air quality, even a little bit, and they are required on a vehicle we should have them. JMHO