Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DEQ in Oregon

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, May 8, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I need a quick and dirty way to pass DEQ in 4 days. The emissions were a bit high in fluorocarbons so I tuned it up and it still didnt pass. I don't want to dink around with this motor anymore. It runs great and it is just in there until I put my big block in which will be done in May. Any suggestions?

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I was younger i worked at an autoparts store and they had a product that looked like a bottle of moonshine that you dump into your full gas tank and then run the rig until the gas is 1/4 full, change the oil drive the rig for 15 miles+ to make sure everything is good and hot then take it in for the test!
    Sorry I can't remember what the moonshine is called, too many dubies sence then[​IMG]. Check out you local partshouse in the oil/chemical section.
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. skeepwerkzaz

skeepwerkzaz Registered Member

Hey there,
    Try the old, rubbing alcohol in the gas tank routine. Also retard your timing to at or near 0 deg at idle. I forgot to see if your is carb. but if it is, squeeze off your idle mixture a turn or two.....this stuff has gotten me to pass the Ca. emissions before!

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Somebody once told me he used catalytic converter cleaner ( sold at any Schucks) to pass the test . it's supposed to give the test a negative on Co's . Worth a shot . Good luck

5. BlueKnight

WELL it didnt pass. It seems it runs to well now. High hydrocarbons. So this weekend a good mechanic friend of mine with Broncosaurus and his tools tried to get my 350 to pass DEQ. first thing we noticed MAJOR vacuum leak intake manifold and carb. Took the rochester down from 3 turns on the air fuel mixture to 1 1/2 and we found out the timing was at 36 degrees advanced to ugh... Last time I pay for a tune up at that shop. so we adjusted timing went to restart and well I dont have eybrows anymore. Small carb fire. Gave it a bit more air/fuel and it would run just no in gear. We even pulled al the plugs out which were gas fouled and glass beaded them then put them back in. After 4 hours of comparing my blazer to his bronco( both have 9" of lift and 38's) and some breaks. pheeww it was hot under there it is now sitting at 28 degrees advance with only 1 turn out on the air fuel mixture. If it doesn pass tuesday im pulling the manifold and fixing that vaccuum leak.

6. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I hope that your Blazer passes. I'm in the same boat but mine failes with CO2. Too much gas. I don't know what carb you have but Sunday I replaced the jets and rods in my Edelbrock 1406 to 89 primary and .073x.047. This combo chokes the life out of my 350 but it did alot better. I've allready replaced the air pump, cat, carb, and a tuneup. My thoughts and prayers will be you. Good luck.

Getsome

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey, Dan
    If you get desperate, or just want to quit monkeying with this, try Northwest Performance Center (down on 11th and SE Division). I can almost guarantee they can get it through DEQ for you, they did my 79 about 5 years ago after I added a Performer intake, removed my EGR, etc. and they got it through first time. 239-5934 is their number, great guys to work with or have work done.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. BlueKnight

It PASSED!!! and wow was it hairy to. OSP was there doing sound checks. He saw the expired tags but loved the truck and told me "heres the deal, if your vehicle passes the DEQ inspection, you will drive to the DMV and get new tags immeadiately. If it fails I will write you a warning for expired tags" He then sound checked it im within 1 db of the allowed limit. runs like crap but it passed.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great news. That OSP guy probably puckered you up a bit........man, never heard of them doing dB checks. Must be getting tougher........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

They've been doing Db checks in Oregon for a couple of years now, I think that the level is in the mid 80's that they're looking for tops!
    Don't quote me there it's just somthing that I think I remember somebody saying somewhere [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

11. BlueKnight

Yeah I puckered quite a bit actually. We were dodging the ploice hang outs because of expired tags and POW run into a hornet nest of OSP officers UGH!! All I know if I went with my friends advice with 2 chambers hi flows I would be looking at a 400.00 noise violation ticket

12. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

damn, thought german TÜV is tough, but you really must get
    p issed off.
    +20y are excepted from emission laws over here.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]