Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Desert Eagle .50 cal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, May 25, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I finally got one. This is truly an obnoxiously large pistol /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif The picture does not make it look near as large as it is. I should take a pic of a fullsize 1911 and this right next to each other.

Shoots .50ae, 350 grain.

Just want to show it off a little. The pic above is not my actual gun, but mine is identical. Black, 6" barrel, weighs about 5 pounds, mark XIX. Mine says Made in Israel, not Made in USA. Not sure of the difference.

Now are you ready for this......ammo costs about a buck each /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif About as ridiculous as 50bmg prices.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How much would it be if you roll your own?

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What did that bad boy run ya, if i may ask?

4. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif two thumbs up on the choice

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

A 5 lb pistol? Hot damn! Better get a sling for that puppy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

If it says Israel, then it is an original Desert Eagle. Made by Israeli Arms, same people who manufacture the UZI machine pistol. The American made model is distributed by Magnum Research. Do you think the grip is too big? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A 5 lb pistol? Hot damn! Better get a sling for that puppy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and a bipod/roof mount/rest of the tank

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Roll my own? I don't reload. I know I should, but then again I know I should floss everyday too.

I paid $890 plus tax. Shhh, don't tell the wife. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif I think you can find a new one with the same black finish for about $1000 plus tax.

Mine says IMI (Isreal Military Industry) on the side. Do the Made in USA ones also say that? I thought Magnum Research was just a US distributor?

I don't think the grips are too big. My hands are not especially large, but I like the way tog un fits my hands. My wife, who has much smaller hands/skinnier fingers, would probably not like the fit. I see a lot of people put Hogue rubber grips on thiers, but I want to shoot mine as is and see how I can control the recoil without the extra help. I prefer the stock grips to the looks of the Hogues.

Yes, it really weighs about 5 pounds. Like someone said of the S&W 500, you don't pick it up you LIFT it. I think my old Mauser (shoots 6.5 Swede) only wieghs about 7 pounds. That's a rifle folks lol.

Mike

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

a tank of a gun but man when you hit something with it, it knocks the shi_ out of it. I actually owned one until a year ago but I've been getting the itch. It was a blast to shoot but man a tank of a gun for sure.

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Right on. A buddy of mine got one when we were posted in Germany together 10 years ago. I've wanted one ever since. There are just other things I'm more willing to spend my miniscule funds on.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, got one too. A buck a round is cheap !!!!!! I've paid as high as $2.50 per round. I don't think the recoil is bad at all, I shoot mine one handed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy crap, if I spend more than $8/100 rounds I feel like Im shootin the spendy stuff... lol!

walmart 9mm value packs (aka winchester white box) rule! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The 100 of 9mm at Wally World run $11 here - it's $8 there?

Hmmm, I wonder what Sam would have thought of that...

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    holy crap, if I spend more than $8/100 rounds I feel like Im shootin the spendy stuff... lol!

walmart 9mm value packs (aka winchester white box) rule! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ] I go through alot of the el cheepo stuff with the 9mm. I can shoot alot at $5.something. Yeap, the 9 is cheap to shoot, but the Desert Eagle is a completely different story.

15. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

great choice on the weaponry,,I've owned a D/E .50 cal for over 3 years (mines brushed stainless with the Israel stamping)I would suggest using the Sampson loads sold by Magnum research,they use the proper powder type for this round that is required to make the slide work properly to eject the spent shell and load the next round. Some loads
    (ESPECIALLY RELOADS) may not provide the proper gas charge to fully retract the slide and the spent casing will "stovepipe" in the slide. I just think if your going to drop $1200.00 in a gun you should not be cheap when it comes to ammo.It's not like your going to run 1000 rounds through it on a weekend /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I also have a .454 Cassull,a 45-70 Contender,and a .223
    Magnun research Lone Eagle.
    When it comes to handguns,, the .454 is my favorite
    but the D/E is a close second,,,

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The 100 of 9mm at Wally World run $11 here - it's $8 there?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm.. i havent bought any there in a while and I heard it was going up in price... maybe it already has. doh!

In any case, I like the 9mm specifically because its cheap to shoot. Its not the best round, with respect to power, ever... but it has killed more people than anyother handgun caliber, so it can do the job. I like its hardly-existant recoil too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I shot the DE50 (about 3 mags worth) once in california, it was fun to shoot, but barring a lottery win or Ed Mcmann knocking on my door I doubt I'll ever own one. If I wanted a powerful semi-auto I'd be much more likely to get a good 10mm. Ammo is cheaper and 1350 fps with 180 grain silvertips is PLENTY of firepower.

j

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it says Israel, then it is an original Desert Eagle. Made by Israeli Arms, same people who manufacture the UZI machine pistol. The American made model is distributed by Magnum Research.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gun was developed and made in the us, Israeli Arms were sub-contracted to, Check it all out here===>
    http://www.world.guns.ru/handguns/hg16-e.htm

how dose a canadian know more about a gun then a bunch of yanks (MANY ARE HICKS TOO /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally have mixed feelings on the DE .50. I see no practical use for the thing so part of me doesn't like the gun. I find it to be pretty useless for the most part.

But I have shot one and it was pretty cool. It was pretty damn fun. One of the coolest handguns I have shot. I can't justify the $1000 price tag and the $1 a round for the thing though. If I had the extra money to play with I might buy one, but I don't so I wouldn't even consider saving for it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It was still a kick ass gun to shoot though. Pretty damn accurate which kinda suprised me.

19. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

That's a cheap red dot optic - cost $30. I've never had a red dot, so I wanted to see how it works. Plus it makes it more obnoxious, kind of like an ar15 with a bunch of crap hanging on it.

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

should have got the gold plated one!!!!! very very /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif