Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Desert riding at Thanksgiving...and a little report 11/29

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by jms, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Claudia and myself will be in AZ over Thanksgiving, and plan on taking the truck out a bit. Nothing too difficult, I'm thinking FR41 (New River Canyon), maybe go up to Black Mesa (I think that's FR17?). I'm also interested in checking out FR98 (from Beeline to Bartlett) since I've never done this, and I'm looking at Telegraph line road at Bartlett. Since I haven't been on any AZ trails in the last four years, I have no idea how difficult they are these days, regarding washouts, etc. If anybody has any recent info, I'd appreciate it. We haven't decided exactly what we're going to do, or exactly when (no family obligations except phone calls is nice), but if anybody is interested in joining us, drop me a line or post here, michael

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Desert riding at Thanksgiving...

I have done FR42 from the road to Bartlett Flats , out to Idian Springs Wash , and that is lots of fun , flexy and off camber , all dirt though . I haven't done the ones you mentioned , but sounds like fun . I will be working before , after , and that Saturday . But if you were to night wheel Saturday I'd go . Enjoy your stay /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. jms

So it looks like we'll try and do FR42 on Friday, no night run, though. It'll be a late start since I'll have to swing by a muffler shop first, so we'll probably be at Bartlett around noon.

4. pauly383

Have fun and be safe . Looks like I can't get out of work , and I need the hours anyway /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Enjoy your stay here , if you are anywhere near Mesa that evening , I'll have a cold one waiting for you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

One time about ten years ago I tried to find the beeline to bartlett road. We thought we found it but is was impassible. We even talked to some people on horse back that were coming out of the trail and they said that it headed to the backside of bartlett. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Mike

6. jms

I found this on the AZ Virtual Jeep Club site

http://www.azvjc.org/oldsite/Trails/View.asp?T=94

I was thinking about this for Saturday, but I'm not sure how fording the Verde would be with all the recent rains in the Verde river valley.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't be trying to ford the Verde right now. It has been raining alot here lately and I imagine it is flowing pretty good.

Harley

8. pauly383

9. jms

I know, we used to canoe a lot on the Verde, and I have the water flow site bookmarked for old time's sake. The flow below Bartlett isn't that high, though; seems they're filling up the lake, good thing, too, since both Bartlett and Horseshoe are rather low.

10. pauly383

Horseshoe actually had water for almost 2 months this year , they drained it after it was up enough to launch a boat /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. jms

Back in Omaha again, we've got snow on the ground... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Update and a bit of a summary - no pics though, I'm still deciding which camera I want.

First, Paul, good to meet you, and thanks a lot for the picture CD. I'm looking forward to checking out the Florence area on our next trip!

We've had a terrific three days of Sonoran desert riding. Thursday, we went down Sycamore Creek to the Verde, then headed north to find the road that swings around Lone Mountain. We found the trail that climbed a long ridge out of the Verde valley, but stopped after about four hours after coming to an off-camber downhill turn where everything looked rather soft, and it seemed a bit iffy to me. Since our maps weren't very precise, and the possibility existed that we might have to turn back anyway, and I didn't like the idea of having to negotiate that off-camber spot in the dark, we turned around.

Met Paul on Friday, picked up a handful of Topo maps at the State land trust office, and then headed out to Bartlett lake to drive FR42. That was a lot of fun, the dirt was very grippy, and with all the washouts I had tires several feet in the air a few times. I ran with the swaybar connected since I haven't cut the fenders back enough. It seems that although I'm of course loosing axle articulation, running with the swaybar connected gives me more body stability, and more contact pressure on one of the front tires in many situations. Lifting a tire doesn't bother me too much since I can lock the front if I need. Right now, I tend to prefer running with the swaybar. I put the air pressure at 27psi, and we never ran out of grip. It took us four hours to run FR 42 from Bartlett to Horseshoe lake road.

Saturday, armed with better maps, we tried for the swing around Lone Mountain again. We forded the Verde at Box Bar Ranch (just before Needle Rock State Park) and picked up FR160 on the other side of the river. BTW, that access is closed Dec.1 to June 30 to protect the bald eagles that are breeding in the area. FR160 slowly climbs away from the river into the mountains, with a lot of washed-out climbs and a few off-camber situations, and a terrific view from the rigde. Halfway up the ridge, about three miles from the river, an immature bald eagle came to check us out. Took us about 2 hours to reach the intersection of FR160 and FR1096; we took FR1096 as it loops behind Lone Mountain; FR160 goes further in the mountains for another future trip. Another hour brought us to the turnoff at FR1852. Turns out that we had driven what we now know was FR1096 on Thursday, and the spot where we turned around on Thursday afternoon was only about 200 yards from the intersection! The terrain is a bit convoluted, so we couldn't see the two roads on T-day. We continued on FR1852, which leads down Ironwood Wash and comes out in Sycamore Creek. Headed up the creek, and after some head-scratching and consultation with a local in a 4-runner, we drove the connector to Sugarloaf Mountain Road, and then out to Beeline.

No breakage, a driveline vibration under power on the way back on beeline went away at the carwash (must have been some mud we picked up on the trail). I still have a bit of a driveline vibe on coast, probably due to the rearranged crossmember position after a hard hit that dented the t'case skidplate on the Behind the Rocks trail at Blazer Bash in Moab. I'll probably have to try and bend the bottom of the frame 'C' chape straight again, and replace the rubber mount for the 'case. Assorted noises from the exhaust are calling for the replacement of the rubber mounts there as well. I gotta start making a to-do list for Christmas...

It really was fun after almost five years here in NE to hit the desert again, and I can't wait to be back at it between X-mas and New Years!

12. pauly383

All the way to Horshshoe Lake Rd. , thats a long way . I did that with Slydog , fun and the views of some of the grasslands from th etrail is gorgeous . Glad you had a good time /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. It sure is nice traveling the backroads in a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

Which route did you take to get there and back?

I take you didn't run I-70. We came back from Grand Junction yesterday(Sunday), and a 6 hour drive became 12 hours.

I still love snow. I wish I could skip work today and head up for a day of boardin'.

14. jms

[ QUOTE ]
    ...Which route did you take to get there and back?...

[/ QUOTE ]

The truck is still down in AZ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and will probably stay until Easter (Jeep Safari)

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I see, you took the route that goes through the air.