Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Desert Storm Vet...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Jimmy, Mar 8, 2003.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was working at a place the other day with several people around sorta watching CNN...
    One guy telling how he's a Desert Storm Vet, and how he really enjoyed watching bodies fly apart when he hit them with the twin M60 machine guns mounted on his Hummer...
    He said he had 65 "registered" kills...

I've heard several other people talk about all the shootin' and stuff, and how many "registered" kills they have...

Please 'splain to me how "registered" kills are counted during a firefight...

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Unless you are a sniper or working alone it would be pretty difficult to credit a kil to just one individual. usualy when it is all over they just tally up the bodies and the whole outfit is credited.
    Sounds like a loud mouth to me, gotta call bullshit on that.
    Most guys that I know do not talk about the ones that they killed in a fight, they almost never bring it up and if you do they generaly won't talk about it.
    Believe it or not most don't get off on blowing people apart with a twin .50.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would say the guy was a bullsh!t artist and not a very good one at that. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I agree, My grandpa who was one of the best men I've ever known came home from WWII highly decorated. He landed in France in one of the opening waves of Dday as an Army combat engineer, and stayed until Germany surrendered and never claimed to have even fired his rifle, except when he shot some rabbits in a french town and gave them to a french farmer. I'ld have to call BS on that guy too. I don't think healthy people would enjoy that activity /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

For one thing, I don't think this guy even knows what a fire fight is! For the other, we bombed the crap out of that place and most of the resistance threw up their hands and surrendured. I don't remember too many fire fights going on there. Maybe a few isolated exchanges during mop up, but fire fights? Give me a break! Call this guy on it and tell him to prove it... And how can you even call someone blasting away with a top mounted gun on a Hummer a fire fight? This guy was prolly in admin or something and never even used a gun.

One of the sickest things I've ever seen during wartime was some chopper guys cleaning the human guts off the windscreen of their chopper. They blew him to pieces just before flying right through his guts about 1 foot off the ground. He was preparing to fire a rocket into the chopper. I've never told anyone about that one before because it made me sick to my stomach every time I thought about it. It makes me sick to talk about it now.

When you encounter someone like this in the future just remember this. Those who know don't talk... Those who talk don't know... I'm only talking now in order to put your mind at rest about this "WANNA BE KILLER".

I think Bubba would back me up on this one...

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    we bombed the crap out of that place and most of the resistance threw up their hands and surrendured.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hell ya we did, for 3 months or so ordance was leaving the ship day and night. Anything that could drop a bomb was used. The amount of ordance that left our ship was staggering. And there was 5 other carriers doing the same thing, not to mention all the land based craft that dropped stuff on em. then there was artilery and the Tomahawks..
    After 3 months of that it was pretty much bombed flat.
    Most were hungry, a bunch didn't even have shoes, and were only to glad to give up.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he hit them with the twin M60 machine guns mounted on his Hummer...

[/ QUOTE ]
    And there would be your BS proof right there. No such thing as twin 60's on a HMMWV. If ya run into him again, get specific with him, what unit he was in and such......Fawking fake vets piss me off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    When you encounter someone like this in the future just remember this. Those who know don't talk... Those who talk don't know... I'm only talking now in order to put your mind at rest about this "WANNA BE KILLER".

I think Bubba would back me up on this one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I'm not a combat vet nor play one on TV, but have read enough about the "fake vet" issue to be able to point them out easily enough most of the time. Like you said <font color="orange">landsmasher </font>, the ones who have seen the elephant have a tendancy to not talk about it. The ones who were in the rear with the gear or just played mopped up are the ones who tend to "talk" about it. Also, having some techical knowledge of things such as weapons systems, what unit was doing what will aid in pointing these guys out.

Here's a good example. A lot of Desert Storm for most people was nothing more than riding across the desert for a few days. Some of these guys, especially ones that were attached to the 82ND Airborne Division G-3 "saw" all kinds of action; or how a lone scout platoon from the 3RD Armorered "saved" 7th Corps. Real winners here. Now on the flip side, there were some real fights over there. The Battle of 73 Easting between the 2ND ACR and the Iraqis apparently was pretty wild, they called it the biggest armor battle since WW2. I knew a guy that was there, never talked about it. When one is a none combat vet such as myself, I tend to not push the issue. You can tell when a person wants to talk, and when one doesn't. One day, this guy and me were talking and I don't remember how we ended up on the subject, but I asked him if he had been at 73 Easting and then asked him if he would talk about, and for about 15 minutes, he related the experience to me.

There's a guy at work right now that claims to be a medic that went over, but a couple of weeks ago I was asking him simple stuff, stuff that even the 80 year old WW2 vet would be able to answer in a heartbeat, and this guy couldn't do it. May have a fake at work, woohoo!!

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The Guy in Question said he is a Marine (didn't catch the outfit)...

He Is a Cop...

The other Cops in the Squad room got all pissy when I asked him the same question (about counting)...

I am a Viet Nam Combat vet and have seen my share of firefights...

I considered his story to be Offensive in the Extreme to Vets of any service, especially to those I know personally whose names are engraved on a simple wall in Washington DC...

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    He Is a Cop...

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains a few things.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Hey now!!!!!!! Don't bag on the cops!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. landsmasher

LOL sorry bout that Bubba... Just trying to keep a smile on my face today so I don't become a "Bitter Old Man". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just keep your Geritol intake regular and I'm sure you will not become bitter. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Battle of 73 Easting between the 2ND ACR and the Iraqis apparently was pretty wild, they called it the biggest armor battle since WW2

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought the one against the Madina Div was bigger?

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Got tired of looking, but everything I have read in the past said 73 Easting was the biggest, but I ran across the kill tally for the Medina Battle and the Medina Division lost more vehicles; so you might be correct.

16. Stickseler

have you read the Tom Clancy book with Gen Franks? It gets pretty good into the battles. I found the logistical side pretty interesting, Like how many fuelers it took to fuel the fuelers to fuel the fuelers to fuel the tanks. Its a good book if you haven't read it. Into the Storm

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'll have to get it.

18. Stickseler

I'd send you mine buts its autographed...by both of em /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

How did ya manage that?

20. Stickseler

my brother-in-law got it for me. Hes good for things like that