Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Designing a Blazer Frame - Here's your chance!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Designing a Blazer Frame - Here\'s your chance!

Note: I posted this to Stephen on the ORD forum too but hoped to see some more traffic in this forum:

Stephen

I wanted to call you to discuss this (and will when I order my x-over steering & other parts) but thought it might be more beneficial if everyone saw/had some input on this.

What are some key things to change on the Blazer frame when building a new one from scratch out of rect. boxed tubing? I will be tying the cage to the frame & will probably go with an 8-point cage through the firewall (as you suggested awhile ago) to reinforce the front end of the frame as well.

What ideas do you have on what to change from stock? Re-angle steering box, modify body mounts, change suspension geometry, relocate engine/tranny, etc????

Everyone including Stephen please feel free to add comments. - What would you change???

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

P.S. I already have 6" BDS Springs for front & rear so no multi-link coils yet! [​IMG]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Brian 89KBlazer on 06/14/01 07:52 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Designing a Blazer Frame - Here\'s your chance!

Make the damn thing wider if you can.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Why??

Brian
    89KBlazer

4. CK5

Because the body is so wide and I would like to install rock sliders like a Jeep or Toyota, frame is close to body. That's why nobody can make real sliders for Blazers, the frame is so far from the edge of the body that it twists up the frame and smashes into the body. I think the whole thing would be more stable as well. And make it boxed so it doesn't twist so much or tube.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

5. Brian 89KBlazer

OK, thanks Steve.
    I was thinking wider myself so that the body mounts could be on the inside of the frame rail & the cage mounts could be on the outside of the frame rail with alot shorter outriggers to tie it to the frame.

This is great, anyone else??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My rocksliders work just fine [​IMG] and they are not bolted to the frame at all. Ask Yeildtome how well they work hehehe. I'm telling ya you need to get out the welder and the sawzall like Depdog and I did and make the rock slider part of the body.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

7. CK5

Actually, my sliders work just fine as well (1-1/2" DOM) it just would have been nice if GM from the factory made the frame wider so it would be easy to mount rock sliders and roll cages could be tied into the frame easier. Of course they could have made the body a little more narrow. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I say narrow the body instead of widening the frame.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

9. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I would widen the frame before i narrowed the body. It would be a headache narrowing the body. You would have to have specials front and rear window's made. That alone would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s!!!!!!! And every time you got a rock chip is would piss you off, "THERE WENT MY EXPENSIVE WINDSHIELD!! ARGH!!!". Then what about the dash? Some of you may not care about looks, but I can't stand sitting in my truck for any length of time with out the dash pad. It is UGLY!!!!!! Of course narrowing the body, you would have to lose the rear seat. I know many of you don't care about the backseat, but that is one of the reasons I am building my blazer, so that the whole family (wife, 2 kids, and myself) can go wheeling! You would also lose some of the room for those important tools and parts for wheeling trips. The thought that bothers me most is, you would have to lose the center console! That is where i keep anything that i might need while driving. Stuff like my ciggarettes, lighter, spare lighter, DR.PEPPER, favorite cd, sunglasses and many many more things! Another thought is, you would have to weld the body back together. With my experiences, I have found that welding on the thin gauge metal is a big pain in the A$$! Even with a wire gun, you have to stitch weld it back together. This is a time consuming tideous(sp?) job! Welding on the tubing for widening the frame would be much easier! You can turn the heat up and weld. None of this weld and inch, skip an inch, weld an inch, etc...... This is just my .02! Take it for what it is worth! Probablly not much, but ohhhhhhh well! LOL!

baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

When widening the frame,keep it the same width from the firewall forward as the factory has it or you'll lose room for the tires to turn on the front. Other than that it sounds like good idea.[​IMG]

PURE INSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under!
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd add in better trannny/x-fer case mounts, and stiffen up the front half.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you narrow the body instead of widening the fram might as well buy an s-10. get 2 frames, one on the outside of the origonal. this way you have a wider boxed frame. suspension would be a trick then but it would just be tricky to take the time to cut the second frame to allow for the suspension on the first frame

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Seventy4Blazer

That's actually what I had in mind now, come to think of it. I originally thought of widening the frame after the firewall but it'll be much easier to use two strainght rails for the main frame that are the same width the whole way through & make a second outside frame section under the cab liek you suggested. It'll be a little heavier but much stronger!

How about suspension mounts, engine mounts, shock mounts, etc!!! Is all that perfect or would anyone change any of that??

Thanks for all the input so far!! & KEEP IT COMING!!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>When these boards were first made, there was a guy on here named David and he had a custom frame. It was an 87 body with 1 ton running gear, a built small block, coil spring suspension and 44s. Search for posts by Boggin' Blazer . He sold his business in spring 2000 and lost his internet acess so nobody has heard from him since. Heres some pictures

http://www.zing.com/picture/p98e0e652cbd972ff0ef8b3cae6716325/ffd0e525.jpg.orig.jpg

There was only 1 or 2 good pictures of the frame, and they were attatchments so they are long gone. Those 2 are on a Zing album. Does anyone know how to look at a whole Zing album just from the URL of a picture?</font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks biggray & to the top one last time.

I've got pics from David Schere a long time ago but like you said; he's since disappeared (for various reasons).

How about lift, spring hangers, etc?? Come on people!! I'm not asking for degree structural engineers only!! [​IMG][​IMG] Everyones ideas on how GM could have done anything better on the frame is what I'm looking for. whether it be something as simple as how the bumper is mounted to how to deisgn a new engine mount, etc!!

Thanks again to all replied & this time I'll let the post sink!

Brian
    89KBlazer

16. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Brian, I know everyone complains about the space between the body and frame when you put a 3" lift on. However I believe this is the way to take advantage of that space with a added tube frame that is bolted to the main frame several places alone the length including a tube up over the front frame along the engine mounts. I have not gotten that far with my frame so I don't know what all of the problems will be but stay in touch because I will make the frame a lot stiffer before I put the body back on.

Bill Hughes

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd incorporate a new rear shock mount tube like on steve's UAV. The factory rear upper shock mounts always break and don't allow for enough flex due to being so far outboard.

I would also configure your spring hangers to use 52" springs up front and 63" springs in the rear...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Rene, I plan on cutting the floor in back out anyway and moving the gas tank up above the floor along with the raised shock mounts. That should leave plenty of room for extra frame supports between the body and the frame. All of this will be enclosed into the Roll Cage. I will also need a seperation of the cab from the gas tank in the back for safety but all of this will provide the room on the underside.

Bill Hughes