Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

desktop dyno, what is this thing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Mar 10, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

while browsing through ck5 ive come accross someone who said they put in their upgrades into their "desktop dyno" and it has come out with ratings or something like that, my questions are, what EXACTLY is it, where can i get it, how accurate is it, is it expensive, is it hard to use, and who has one?? thanks in advance..

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just do a search for Desktop Dyno on Google, I'm sure you'll get tons of hits on it, it's a real popular program. </font>

3. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Desktop Dyno is a Mr gasket software program. It's not too expensive, check your local performance oriented parts store. Summit and Jegs can help you, also. It's reported to be pretty close, given good tuning. Easy to use. I like it when choosing camshafts, especially. I use it sometimes just to entertain myself...

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I bought it a while back from www.summitracing.com - cost was $40 plus handling fee. I wanted to get it to learn more about engines and of course build some various "dream" engines. I probably shouldn't say this for the sake of the software maker, but it doesn't require the cd to run the program...install it once on your hard-drive and you're good to go. (So, find someone who already has the cd and install it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)
    Anyway - you start with a large list of basic engine blocks, then you can choose standard bore or choose an over-bore. Same with the stroke. Then you get to choose what type of injection, exhaust, heads, cam, etc. You can choose from "stock" or values already in the software. You can also custom make airflow files and cam shafts. I haven't experimented with this too much. That's probably my only complaint - on the custom cam file, they ask for more information than most cam manufacturers will release.
    One of the coolest things is that you can choose "iterator" which tests the engine you have specified with hundreds of different cam profiles to get the best torque or horse power. Again I haven't done much with this feature, but how the figures and various settings work is beyond me still. I have managed to build a rather stock (low compression ratio, vortec heads, headers, etc) 350 that makes 400 ft. lbs of torque at 2000rpm and a peak of 278 horsepower at 4500rpm. Not too shabby if you ask me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hope that helps out a bit.

5. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

There are alot of websites that have listings for hundreds of camshafts and cylinder heads to use with this program. After finding this out I decided I'm going to buy this program, wanna see what I can do with a little 350.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i bought mine at autozone. it was 39.95 + tax. i got bored once and built a 7000 horse motor. it has 7 inch pistons 7 inch stroke and 4 inch valves on a 4 valve head. it didn't give readings past 5000 rpms

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

8. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I got it free from kazaa...it's pretty neat but does me no good cuz it doesn't work with diesels...

9. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I got it free from kazaa...it's pretty neat but does me no good cuz it doesn't work with diesels...

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet I'm home sick from work and you just gave me something useful to do! I just built a turbo'd 377 with 508lb/ft of torque at 1800 RPM if only I had the money to put that in my truck

10. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

what did yall search under? i just looked and kazaa didnt come up with anything /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

After downloading it, all I get is a message "code does not match registered name" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

try again

13. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

i have never used desktop dyno but i have played a video game called IHRA PRO DRAG RACING 2 and it has a place where you can build a motor to the exact specs you want it. It was pretty accurate, me and a buddy built the 572 big block crate motor on their and it was pretty close in horsepower maybe 5-10 off. Anyways pretty cool game if anyone's into that stuff you should check it out.

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know...it has always worked for me?