Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

desperate help with headers and 44s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Mar 2, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

for starters i have an 87 chevy 1/2 ton with a 350 tbi and i just ordered air injection smog legal headers. they have 4 air injection ports on each header my stock manifolds only have one on the front of each. what am i supposed to do here any advice welcomed.

also can 1/2 ton axles with 5.13 gears, detroits, and chromoly shafts turn 44 tsls with out breaking all the time, and can i fit them with a 12 inch lift and trimming, still allowing good flex

thanks
    camokrawler

2. camokrawler

C'mon I know somebody can tell me something bout it

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

No. :(

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You could turn 44's all the way to the mall and back but that would be the extent of it.

5. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

x2!!!

6. camokrawler

i had 38x16r15 and drove the piss out of it and only broke a u joint with open diffs and 4.10s

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It doesnt sound like your wheeling it hard. Give us some specifics here. What kind of wheeling do you do? If its only street driven then you arent going to break u-joints all the time, but in my opinion it is unsafe with 1/2 tons. I wouldnt even think of taking 44's and half tons out on the trail.:eek1: :eek1: Thats just scary!!!! If you snap a rear shaft on a hillclimb (very very very very very very very possible with 44's on 1/2 tons) your tire will fall off and you could roll! I, and im sure everyone else on here, is gonna tell you that it is not safe to drive with 1/2 tons on 44's. I wouldnt even ride in that truck.
    To answer your question, where did you get the headers from? It could be possible that you ordered the wrong ones or were sent the wrong ones. I would suggest talking to the place you bought them from. If not, you could always plug the holes up with a threaded plug.
    And to answer your other question, you wont have good flex with 12" of lift. The larger the lift, the more the spring comany has to arch the spring. The more arch a spring has, the less it will flex and it will ride like crap. Generally anything over 6" is seriously limiting flex. You can run 44's on 6" if you just hack the fenders. Why go 12" if your looking for flex? Anything that is going to require a large amount of flex, 44's, and front and rear lockers is gonna snap those 1/2 tons before you even get your foot on the gas.

BTW-I am not trying to be a jerk by telling you that your 1/2 tons are unsafe with 44's. Im honestly trying to help you save your truck, and yourself from injury. 1/2 tons are not suitable for 44's. period. My friend broke his half ton rear shaft on 35's just crossing a small (maybe 2 feet deep) ditch at school (doesnt even require 4wd, and stock cherokees easily made it through), and his tire fell off 1 block away when he was doing 45 mph.:eek1: That is scary. And that is what WILL happen if you even look at driving off pavement (and maybe even on) with 1/2 tons and 44's.
    Oh-And with the money it takes to stuff detroits, 5.13's, and chromo's in your half tons, you could easily find a 14ff rear, and d60 front. Then wait on lockers. You can get alot farther open front and rear on 1 tons, then locked front and rear on half tons with broken shafts and u-joints. You will thank yourself in the long run.
    -Harrison

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just saw that your in nc. Where at? Im living in boone right now, but ill be in greensboro the 10th-20th. You should come wheeling at uwharrie with us this summer. Just not with 1/2 tons and 44's.:doah: :wink1:
    -Harrison

9. camokrawler

yeah i wanna do the one tons and i know its the way to go i was just seeing if it was possible i talked to summit, they are supposed to be the right headers. but the air injection lines are run different. i really need help, i'm stumped. i know my third gen camaro had 4 air lines on both sides.
    btw i'm in raleigh u can check out a pic of me pulling out an f250 with my 87 halfton at www.myspace.com/camokrawler

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Theres another guy from raleigh on here named dawson. I think is screen name is Dawson444. Anyways, I dont know what to say about the air injection. I am putting non smog headers on mine and just doing away with the air injection to save weight. You could always buy a set of non air-injection headers (with an 02 bung of course), then drill and tap them for the air intection holes. Oh, and 44's on 1/2 tons IS possible, its just a very stupid idea imho. Instead of spending the money of the rear 1/2ton, at least put a 14ff there. That way you know you have a stout rearend and if you do happen to break it, your tire wont fall off. Then you could save up for the front. Just remember to carry spare shafts and u-joints for the front. Thats what I do. Im running a 14ff rear so thats fine. The front is a 3/4ton 10 bolt. I have 37's and am locked front and rear, so I know its only a matter of time before I break the front. 37's and locked is too much for a front 10 bolt. I just make sure to carry spare shafts, u-joints, and all the tools needed to fix it on the trail. Heck, I even think my brother and I have a spare set of hubs we take on the trail too.
    -Harrison

11. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

the air lines should all come together in to one on each side and then you run a hose to where the original hose hooks up

and for the 1/2 tons the rear defenatly no get a 14 bolt the front wouldent be as bad but you would need to be very very carefull

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

44s on half tons are beyond the means of the balljoints, knuckles, and wheel bearings. Even on a tube buggy it's pushing it.

I ran 40s on half tons with 2600lbs with me in it, a 465/208, and universal joint caps welded in place. I never broke it and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I just tried not to use a lot of throttle with the tires turned. I did drive up the side of a Cadillac with one tire at full lock so it's not like it's dangerously weak but it isn't strong. I bet if I had to back up something with a lot of weight transfer to the front axle with the tires turned I'd have blown something.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just screw a plug into the holes in the headers you are not going to use, and only use the two that you need. I am surprised you have a TBI engine with an A.I.R smog pump set up. I thought only carbureted vehicles had smog pumps. You might want to go to a emissions inspection station, and ask them if they even do a visual inspection for a smog pump on your truck. If they do not, then you could dump the whole smog pump system, and exchange the headers for a set, which do not have the Air Injection holes in them.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ditto. 44's are just too heavy plain and simple. they creat a ton of stress on more than just u joints and shafts

15. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You Have The Wrong Headers. Theres A Lot Of Options When It Comes To Headers. I Bought Some Doug Thorley Headers And They Had 4 Fittings On Each Header Like You're Saying. I Called Doug Thorley And They Said I Received The Wrong Headers And They Sent Me The Correct Ones With One A.i.r. Fitting On Each Header.

Long Story Short, I Think You Should Call Summit And Ask If You Can Swap For The Correct Heagers. Or Better Yet, Call The Manufacturer, And See If They Can Help You.

16. camokrawler

thanks for everything guys i am returning my headers to summit exchaning them for a tbi spacer, powertech power charger and some offroad light wiring kits to hook up my 6 inch procomp 100 watts. i am going to drill my current headers and weld on fitting for the air injection and o2 sensors. cheapest and not too difficult. any one got a d60 or 14ff near NC for sale
    camokrawler

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive been looking for a cheap D60 around nc for over 2 years now with no success.:doah: I did get my 14ff brand new from gm, 0 miles on it, 4.56 gears, full detroit (yes, it is the 5/4 ton military version) for $550.:bow: Cant find that deal again.
    -Harrison

18. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

This subject comes up at least once every 2 week's on here and is beat to death on Pirate . Does the search function not work :D j/k . Seriously though , for all the money some guy's spend on stuff for their truck ( stereos, lift kit's, big tires ,& on & on ) Wouldn't be easier to just First start off with you buying 1 ton d60/corp14 running gear ?

19. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You are the first person on this web site to just come out and say it. As you can tell by my user name, I definitly sibscribe to this philosophy. :D

20. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This is a joke, right?