Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

destroyed rig/towing nightmare continues, need HELP.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Jan 16, 2003.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

well, some of you were nice enough to help me yesterday with my tow truck dilemna. I need some more information. I went down last night, to try to recover my rig. However, it had been rendered undrivable. Problems,

1. they broke the driver side window to get in.

2. they broke the cylinder on the ignition, now it doesn't work.

3. My front hubs are "frozen" in the locked position

4. with both the tranny and tcase in nuetral NOTHING turns, not 1 wheel, not 1 degree of rotation. EVERYTHING is frozen up.

So, what I need is a COMPLETE list of ANYTHING that could POSSIBLE be wrong to file on there claim form. WHere do I even start?

2. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

That sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I would call my insurace company and have the rig trailered to a "friendly" shop NOW. Your agent should be able to help you or at least recomend some good legal shark (ask him who he hates to see the other guy with!).

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to remember your topic from yesterday..... Did you have your front shaft removed or not?

Is there a possibility that they broke the transfer case chain? and now it is jammed everything up?. I'd remove the driveshafts and see if the axles turn... tow it to a shop and get an estimate... Then start the proceedings for a lawsuit if they are not willing to pay up. Then when you get the money, do the work yourself and you got some spare cash for some more mods!

If they broke your window and ignition column to tow it, they are a very mickey mouse operation. Most tow people are experienced at least with a slim jim so they don't break the window.

Sorry about all your trouble, hope everything works out.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I agree. The tow truck operators that I know can pop right into a Chev truck. Why would they even mess with the ignition anyway? Its simple to put the transfer case in neutral. I would call your agent and let them get involved. Sounds like you got a load of bullshit.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

take lots of pictures for future use.

6. coolhandluke

thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I have my good friend/lawyer working with me to make sure I don't toast the legal end of it. I couldn't believe they broke the window, I mean, how long does it take to slim jim the thing?

What I need now is a list of anything that could be wrong.

t-case, tranny, hubs? what else could have been damaged?

7. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I'd take it to a shop and let them tell you what is busted.

Possibilities:
    hubs
    Axles( front and rear)
    gears
    transfer case
    transmission
    steering column(for sure)
    Window(for sure)

The thiefs that stole my Z71 were more professional than the tow truck operators. They only broke my steering column to get the truck started and to get the column lock off..... they broke many things after they got it started though.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The hubs themselves, the carriers, they could be busted too. Definitely include the tranny and tcase. Basically everything from the flexplate/flywheel to the rubber.

I agree with the others, though. Call your insurance company and get them involved. They will know about who to deal with, how to deal with it, and where to go next as good as anybody.

You just can't seem to get ANY breaks with that thing, can you? (no pun intended ... sorry)

9. coolhandluke

yeah, I know, I swear I have the worst luck with vehicles of any one on the planet. This might be the nail in the coffin however. Do you still need a 14 bolt rear?

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Nah. I bought my 14bFF/D60 a while back. Just about have the 14b finished.

If you get lucky and it turns out to be something like the tcase, give me a holler. I have a spare 208 laying in the garage and will have a second spare in about another month. You could borrow it temporarily if you need it while you are working your deals for the fix. Or, I could sell it to you if you want it permanently.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Unbeleivable. List everything in the drivetrain just to be on the safe side. Are they a AAA shop or not? If so I would definately report them. </font color>

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah when I called my insurance company to report my accident with the flying wheel, they told me that the tow truck driver is liable not me and that he should also pay for the damage he caused to my rig for towing improperly and they would handle it. They said this is why we pay the premiums so they can do the work.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

GO TAKE PICTURES.

Go buy disposable cameras with flash and take pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words. The ATF on the ground would be a good idea to grab as well. Any and all "fresh" fluid leaks should be photographed and where they are leaking from. Definitely get pictures of the glass and the column. Next, take pictures of all your paint. Under your hood too. I'd put black tape on the air cleaner to tell if its been opened along with around the oil dipstick tube and brake reservoir.

Definitely take pictures of your interior. Lots.

Next, call up your insurance company to see if you can remove "valuables" from the interior. If it's not bolted down someone will steal it. The "company" will blame it on vandals if they're called on it and they can be blamed for breaking the window.

These guys are a bunch of shady people. They might do something to your rig worse than they have already done.

Any goon can slimjim a 73-91. The longest it ever took me to get in to one with a slimjim was 4 minutes. The column doesn't surprise me. Not many people are intelligent enough to know that you can take apart the shift linkage from under the truck.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm definitely with you at this point...

The window and column alone are enough to make a case out of, I've never heard nor seen an abandoned vehicle have the window broken out so it could be towed.

Just from hearing what happened to you, what does your friend/lawyer think so far?

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think I would have to fing the dirty SOB that messed up my truck and give him a little something special...like a bat upside the head /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. coolhandluke

I went back today, when I could think clearly, and not want to strangle those idiots. I went with a video camera, and a digital camera, and just recorded EVERYTHING. I already have pics of the tranny fluid. They got kind of nervous when I started videoing.

My lawyer friend had been really helpful making sure I don't mess up anything. I'm listing everything between the tires and the engine as being possibly damaged.

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Man, this really sucks! when I drove tow truck, the boss was liable for any damage. We did repo's, snow/police calls, and private lots. we could pop a chevy door lock in 2 seconds!!busted window?? I don't understand what they needed to mess with lock for. were the wheels turned?? maybe they were trying to unlock the wheel to straiten wheels. If the wheels were turned on a chevy, all I ever did was turn the lock as far as it would go and pull on steering wheel. with a couple of sharp tugs, you could get the wheel to skip on the lock plate. If a truck only had to be towed for a couple of miles, it would get towed front up when I couldn't get wheels turned. otherwise rear up. if I had to drag it out of a spot and then rehook, all well. I would pull the shaft out and see if they burned up the transfer case or tranny. If that t case was in gear, well we all know what would happen. get it out of there to a shop of your choice, make a complete list of the damage, and make them pay. you may have to go to court, but I don't see why you would lose. best of luck to you!!

18. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If the transfer case was in neutral and the hubs were "locked" in, I know this disengages the transfer case from the engine and tranny, but are the two axles still locked together? If they are and you tried towing it by a method which didn't allow all the wheels to turn(dolly or cradling one set of wheels), wouldn't this guarantee breaking something in the drive line.

19. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Definitely need your insurance company involved, and get your vehicle out of the lot as soon as possible. If you aren't sure where to have it serviced, call a few four wheel drive supply shops in your area and they will most likely have some recommendations of places for you to have your repairs done at. Lots of luck to you, and hopefully you will end up with a new and improved rig in the end.

20. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

...like a bat upside the head

trust me, keep the bat out of it..... :shocked:
    take lots of pics.....and good luck :thumb: