Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

destructive feedback

Discussion in 'Audio' started by stretch67, Oct 4, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

got the system wired up in the burb today. i went to test it before bolting it all down and had trouble! i am using 4 amps to drive different speakers. all 4 have remote turn leads. all are grounded together same with power feeds. here is the problem when i turn on the deck i get a loud low violent rythmic feedback for about 2 seconds. the front speakers shake very bad! then nothing everything works fine. wtf the remotes are hooked up to deck remote out. any advice? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would not ground them together

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

You might need to run relay for the remote turn on, that will ensure they are all getting enough turn on power. Amps take a different amount of time to turn on, that will cause noise but it's usually "popping" sound that you'll hear. As far as the grounds it should be just fine to have them grounded the same place. Good luck

4. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

thanks!!! there was a relay when i pulled the deck from my other rig that i had a shop install. i didn't reuse it cause a buddy pulled it and i wasn't sure how to wire it. popping describes the sound pretty good! i will try the relay and hope thats the problem! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

update?

6. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

new username! i have had to work so have been driving 67 gmc still not sure how to wire up relay? might have to go to stereo shop but they want 200 bucks to talk to you! anyone know about relays? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    got the system wired up in the burb today. i went to test it before bolting it all down and had trouble! i am using 4 amps to drive different speakers. all 4 have remote turn leads. all are grounded together same with power feeds. here is the problem when i turn on the deck i get a loud low violent rythmic feedback for about 2 seconds. the front speakers shake very bad! then nothing everything works fine. wtf the remotes are hooked up to deck remote out. any advice? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A remote turn on relay is not going to solve a noise issue..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

You've got what sounds to be a ground loop problem. Unfortunately, you also have a pretty complex sounding setup, so it will take some time to trace the problem. Is this noise coming out with the engine running, or are you getting it even with the engine off?

I would start by isolating each amp and seeing if you can trace the noise to a single component. Also, grounding everything together isn't bad...but you need to find a good solid ground to tie all those grounds to, like a clean spot on the chassis or frame. Do NOT run the grounds back to the negative battery terminal directly....you are almost guaranteed to have "alternator whine" by doing that.

My guess is that you have a bad ground, or a component with poor power supply isolation.

8. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A remote turn on relay is not going to solve a noise issue..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

You've got what sounds to be a ground loop problem. Unfortunately, you also have a pretty complex sounding setup, so it will take some time to trace the problem. Is this noise coming out with the engine running, or are you getting it even with the engine off?

I would start by isolating each amp and seeing if you can trace the noise to a single component. Also, grounding everything together isn't bad...but you need to find a good solid ground to tie all those grounds to, like a clean spot on the chassis or frame. Do NOT run the grounds back to the negative battery terminal directly....you are almost guaranteed to have "alternator whine" by doing that.

My guess is that you have a bad ground, or a component with poor power supply isolation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, not trying to start a pissing match here. But, a relay on the remote turn on will absolutely (sp) stop turn on and turn off "pop". Will it help with the ground issue, NO but he is describing a noise that only happens for a brief period when the amps turn on. Ground loop is a whine that stays on when the vehicle is running and sounds like an audible tach. You are 100% correct about your ground recommendations though. Oh and ground wire should be no longer than 18"

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So by using a relay, more power can be sent to the turn on which means it will turn on faster? A friend of mine has the same problem in his car with his amps and we haven't been able to figure it out. I was thinking more along the lines of what Greg said. If you can update us with the fix I would like to hear it.

-Chris

10. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

thanks guys! i have since sold the burb so i gotta start over with the new rig. the system was quiet when running just had the noise at power turn on. so it's the voltage that the relay increases that prevents the pop?