Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detail of BDS lift! UPDATED w/ pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 2, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok here's the list of parts and how things went...

4" bds lift with 4" read bds springs
    new eagle 121 wheels with big-o xt 35x12.5x16 tires
    around 76 3/4" axles w/ D44 front and 14B FF rear (both 8 lug) and 4.10 gear ratio
    BDS shocks
    ALL new rotor calipers etc.
    braided brake lines
    ord front shackles w/ greasable bolts
    rear ord greasable bolts
    rear disk brake conversion (misfits plates w/ caddy calipers)

axles were cleaned and painted black. I won't be doing rear disk brake conversion until the last step.

front axles had new lugs put on front hubs were cleaned w/ silicone put in, bearing packed front axles were ready to go...

11:00
    from here k5 was put on a hoist and drag link was disconnected and all bolts were loosened. out of 4 bolts for leafs only 1 wasn't froze up, but the torch made short work because I had the new shackles and all new greable bolts.

after bolts where loosen or head cut off one side hoist was dropped w/ jack stands under axles. front springs were removed axle was now removed. new axle was put in and found that caliper bracket on drivers side was bent, and new calipers were wrong. new calipers were ordered, rock rod taken off old axle and installed on front.

I didn't have one of the origional calipers was thrown away by wife so I only had one bolt for the braided brake lines. also Pro Comp braided brake line hole was too small. new calipers were installed with backing plate straightened, and it was left here. we'll drive holes bigger in braided brake lines and get additional bolt to attatch braided brake line to caliper on monday. front shocks were also installed.

front is now complete except for braided brake lines being attachted.

4:00
    bought crew beer (I don't drink) and they were very ready to get this done enough he could get the blazer out of his shop if needed on monday. should have bought the beer MUCH earlier in the day it would have made the front go MUCH faster. LOL [​IMG]

went and got the rear 14B FF with my dads tractor and front end loader... rolled it into the buck and drove it to the shop about 1/2 mile way.

by the time we got there the rear tires were removed. we disconnected the brakes and took the shocks off. then we lowered it onto jack stands...

almost ALL the bolts were frozen, but not much of a chance was given here. we took the torch after EVERYTHING including the bottum of the u-bolts! [​IMG] didn't take much time.

we rolled the 14B under the k5 and removed the old axle... bolted up the new spring, installed shocks. we didn't worry about hooking up rear brake lines. I'm waiting on new drive lines (gotta order those on monday) so I'll do the rear disk brake conversion, and then we'll hook up the rear brakes! I already got all the parts for the conversion.

put new tires and wheels on, and dropped the hoist. we kept dropping the hoist and the k5 just sat there not moving and EVERYBODIES mouths dropped! LOL [​IMG] I have a real hard time believing those springs only gave me 4"

monday I gotta get bolt to attach brake lines to caliper up front (1) order new drive lines, and do the rear disk brake conversion.

I've got the ORD steering brace that will be installed as soon as everything else is done before it is driven.

I'm also waiting for 4 1/2" bump stops from ORD and the swap bar disconnect and new sway bar bushings.

on the rear shakle by the gas tank the ORD kit only supplied new bushings and greasable bolts for the parts that connected to the springs. there is another bushing and bolt there that I'd like to find greasable bolt for and new bushing. if it worth it???

<font color=red>need suggestions on where to order drive shafts! </font color=red>

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: detail of BDS lift!

Sounds great Solo! Why you looking for driveshafts? I have my rear CV shaft coming from Tom wood's

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

3. solowookie

front doesn't reach by 2"... [​IMG][​IMG] rear barely reaches... [​IMG]

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I hear you. Just put some 4" BDS springs in the front of mine yesterday. Measured a full ~2.5 inches more lift than a buddy's 4" lift springs (sagged) in his Blazer...

--Rob

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Waitin for the ride report and pics.
    the 121 wheels - those the ones from ebay? how do they look?

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Sounds very nice [​IMG]

Call Jess at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.highangledriveline.com>http://www.highangledriveline.com</A> for the drive shafts. I have on of his 1 ton C/V shafts and could not be happier.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I second on what californiak5 said...i am running both front and rear 1 ton CV shafts that Jess made. I love them and have put them to the test! Well worth every penny i paid for them.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. solowookie

OK here are some pics, but you're gonna have to wait for the reports until I get the brakes finished up (I know if I were a <font color=red>REAL</font color=red> man I wouldn't need brakes... LOL[​IMG])

lightings a bit poor, but hey it's not like to could take it to the car wash to clean it up and then let'er pose! I'll get some better pics later! [​IMG][​IMG] It also doesn't have center caps etc... anyway it'll give you and idea!

http://www.vtengineering.com/blazer-side.JPG

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

She looks great Solo!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

10. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Hey, wook where did you buy the BDS lift and what did you pay for it?

11. solowookie

I bought it from Kens 4x4... captcrunch gave me the reference. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kens4x4inc.com/>http://www.kens4x4inc.com/</A>

I paid $785.00 which included BDS shocks, front and rear springs, front and rear kits (ubolts and all that other good stuff) and steering arm.

only problem I had with the kit was the u-bolts didn't fit over my 14B FF. they probably have a different kit for that.

12. solowookie

hey guys thanks for the recommendations for High Angle Drivelines! [​IMG] I'm gonna try the t-case drop and spacer... see if I can get by until I decide to do a tranny swap in a couple years. I need the drive lines sooner or later anyway...

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Looks very cool! Your really getting after this thing, I'm impresed. Keep us posted

Twiztid

14. solowookie

hey thanks for the comp... oh I'll definately keep everybody posted...

the good thing about this k5 is the interior needs done, the thing needs painted etc. I will get to put together almost this entire thing together exactly like I want to. basically it's got a good body, good frame, and good engine. it's together enough I can use it while I put it together...

I could have picked up a k5 that didn't need so much done, but hey, where would the fun in that be. It will cost me a LOT of money in the end, but I'm having <font color=blue>TONS</font color=blue> of fun!

15. 2Dogs

Dude,
    Looks good! I have the same Scottsdale Grill on mine so when its lifted its gonna look
    like a twin! You keepin that grill /headlight combo? Mine will be black.
    Dave

16. solowookie

you know I haven't really decided if I want to keep the grill combo or not. the condition looks a lot better then it really is.

I like to looks of the grill etc just fine, but I either need to get a new grill / headlight molding or paint the ones I got. I'll probably figure it out when I get around to gettting the paint job done. that will probably be decided when I figure out what bumpers I want to run on it etc.

17. 2Dogs

Same here - I will keep the grill if I can find a way to paint it ONCE. The two-tone will be a PIA. Let me know if you have any ideas.