Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detailing...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Aug 6, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Okay...I know some people are banging their head on a wall now [​IMG], but I don't care /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I really do have a nice looking motor under the hood.
    [​IMG]

It's been leaked on and dirtied up some and the flex fan has sandblasted the front of the motor. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I also think that you can catch leaks better on a clean motor than a dirty one.

What degreaser have y'all used that is good but won't take paint off. Also, I've got mud that has been baked onto my headers...it's like concrete now. Any ideas?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I like "Greased Lightning". Berrymans B12 chemtool (carburator cleaner really) will take grease off of anything, but it might take paint too! Never have tried it on painted surfaces. The local car wash has engine cleaner/degreaser that works pretty well, as long as you keep it off the distributer and out of the carb (DUH!).

John

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Simple Green............all you need.

And then fix the leaks so you don't get in the same boat. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, I had a problem with a grommet on the valve cover, and then the old thermostat housing was too pitted and didn't seal so that leaked also. *sigh*
    I think my valve covers leak. When I replace those gaskets, I'm going to replace the covers cause they suck /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

After thinking about it a little, I'm not going to touch the motor until after I move cause she's running really good right now lol!

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Simple Green or Dawn dish soap!

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I use Mopar engine degreaser because I work at a Jeep dealer (job security /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ) and I get it free, it works very good. I also like Gunk. Let it sit and use a power washer. I use both a lot on my motor, it still doesnt look like it did after I had it built (looked like yours) but thats because my battery kinda sorta fell off the tray and into the fan. Thats a different story. The headers are harder to get the mud off of

My chrome valve covers leak too. They seem to come loose after time no matter what I do /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea how DO you clean an engine up? mines got grease and all kinds of sh*t all over it..of course its never been messed with much since new in 85...

Bryan