Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

details on a body swap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i would like to know the important details of a body swap..(not a different year just a body swap...i want to put another blazer body on my blazer frame)..i was thinking about the pickup cab thing..but i just love that removable top!! can anyone give me the basics kind of...on whats involved..taking out steering colomn...unhooking wires form fire wall...ect..thanx!

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the wires for the tail lights, & Power tailgate if you have one. disconnect the air breather tubes for the front and rear ends, also the t-case and trans. Remove the t-case shifter. Disconnect the Speedometer cable. There is sometimes a ground on the back side of the block to the firewall. Disconnect accelerator cable and trans/clutch cables/linkage. Disconnect vacume lines, heater controls and/or brake. Heater hoses and A/C hoses. Remove the Fuel filler tube hose. TBI Throttle body to computer wiring plug if so equiped. If I did it again I would eather pull the motor or at least the distributer (to keep from breaking it). The body is heavy so if your going to use people power get a lot of help. If you go off the back remember that there is a rise in the rear frame rails that makes it hard to lift it over.

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

In the process of doing this right now , 2nd time I've done it , everythig previously mentioned , and I just put a jackstand (extended and braced to the outside under the rocker at the front cab mount , and made a jig type thing to hold the back up , outside of the frame rails , coming in from the back , then removed the rear axle (so it will fit between the jackstands up front ) with the rear axle out you can roll the frame out through the front with a jack under the gas tank skid , or even the tank with a piece of 1" ply between the jack and the gas tank , the body weight will be off of it , so it doesn't crush the gas tank or anything , you can get away with this method because the rear axle is out you can drop it out from under the body enough to roll it forward , front tires still on /floor jack under the rear , works suprisingly well !!!!! Good luck , and keep the blazer body!!!!! ...........................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifnot /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx guys thats just what i was lookin for! this is ganna take me a while..but i wanna do it right not some crap job thats gana still take me a while..then not last. and yea i plan on keeping the blazer body! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif right now i think im just ganna work on saving some money...and work on getting the parts..(also plan on doing a 4in sus lift..tires...and 3/4 axls while swaping the body. so i just gatta work on getting the parts...then me and a friend of mine are going to start this when it gets warmer out...around spring time or so..