Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detales of lifting a truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jsck5, Dec 6, 2001.

1. jsck5

jsck5 Registered Member

allright, im finally gona do it. IM LIFTING MY TRUCK!!! but just a few questions. The lift im am going to use is a 4in lift off a k10, so im not so sure how much that is going to lift my blazer w/ negative arch springs? Im running both 10b with 3.08s, with my stupid 700r4 w/ 33in BFGmudterrains, soon to be 35"s if or when i get gears. and that leads to my next question, should i put in 3.73s or 4.11s before the lift? it does pretty good on gas now but i hate the fact from the light it cant get out of its own way. is there a way i can get a little more braking power since im going to a bigger tire? cuse, even with the 33s it sucks. I have retired this truck from farm use/abuse so it probly wont see to much dirt.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

With 35's, definitely go 4.10 - unless you really like going slow, or want to emulate Wes's freeway gears[​IMG] - for brakes, the best thing you can do is convert to discs all the way around with carbon metallic pads.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You may even want to consider going with 4.56s. That's what I have with my 700 and 35s and I love the combo. Why are you lifting it and putting 35s under it if you don't plan to take it offroad?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I've got 35's and 3.08 gears and i don't see what everyone is complaining about. Sure the truck is slow but it weighs 5000 pounds and has the areodynamics of a barn. I never drove over 65 when it was stock. If you can do the gears yourself go ahead, but i sure wouldnt pay some one, its cheaper to buy different axles with the ratio's you want. As far as brakes go just make sure everything is in good condition. My stock brakes work fine, the limiting factor is the grip of the mud tires.

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

5. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

Why not lift it???? What kind of gas mileage do you get with the 4:56's? What engine do you have? I am currently debatin' on gear size also.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Why not take it offroad? I don't get gas mileage with mine! LOL Actually I get about 9-10 MPG on the highway and about 7-8 in 4WD offroad. Of course, my truck has a tired, inefficient 305 (&gt;150,000 miles). And, with my roof rack and full set of lights, my rig stands over 8' tall. It's a pretty big wall I am driving into the wind. I expect a good gas mileage improvement once I get my new 350 installed.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

You are right. Why not go off-road? If you build it, you WILL play!! I am currently getting 15-17 mpg. Yes, 15-17 mpg(not pulling the trailer w/ 2 quads, then it is around 12-13). The truck is stock with 3:08's, 130,000 miles on a 350 and runs like no tomorrow!! I am worried about mileage cuz it's a daily driver and I put on at least 500 miles every other weekend going to our cabin.

Thom

If you got it, play with it.