Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detent cable

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell Keys, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

How do you adjust the detent cable for a 700-r4? Will a improperly adjusted cable cause a premature shift? Sometimes if I do not give enough throttle when I take off it shifts way too soon, then the engine lugs and sometimes with it floored it won't kick down. I had a guy look at it and he made a small adjustment, and said it could be adjusted more but he didn't have time and I really didn't pay attention to what he was adjusting.Thanks-Russell

2. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

If you look at your detent cable (it's hard to do) you will see a little box that the cable goes through. You can push the button on it and move your throttle cable to full throttle (engine off of course) Release the button then the throttle, it should be set. Thats how I did mine and it worked for me.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's on a 4" lift.

3. Russell Keys

finally got a chance to look at the cable but I didn't see any box the cable goes through. It looks like it passes through a grommet at the back of the intake and then comes toward the front. It looks like the cable is spliced or something w/ some sort of a cable lock, but I can't tell if that is the adjuster. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Too bad none of my manuals help.-Russell

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

where the cable housing is attached at the intake manifold bracket, there is a spring, and a metal tab, push the metal tab down, the cable housing should slide back in the bracket. with the engine off, push the throttle pedal to the floor as hard as you can, you should hear the cable click as it adjusts, make sure the metal tab is coming back up or the cable may not hold the adjustment. this cable controls the shifting on these transmissions and they can be damaged by driving them with a broken/non adjusted cable.

5. Russell Keys

OK. I made the adjustment according to the Haynes manual and now the trans. shifts worse and won't stay in o/d. With any amount of throttle it shifts back into drive. After the cable passes through the adjuster it is connected to another cable via a cable lock. From there it goes to the front of the intake and turns up toward the throttle bracket. Does the second piece of cable have a specific length? I went to the parts house this eve and checked with a new cable and they aren't long enough to reach all the way to the throttle bracket. It looks like it will have to be connected to the second piece of cable. I think I'm gonna have to just play with it and get it where I want it and hope I don't burn it up in the meantime! Thanks for the help! -Rusell