Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detent soleniod not hooked up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just put a shift kit in a th400 last night, and noticed the detent solenoid has no wire going to it. my question is, what does the thing do, will it make a difference if its not hooked up, and should i hook the new wire up to? just ignition hot? or does it go to some sensor. the tranny is a 65' so there is no smog wire.

2. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Note: I'm not a tranny expert!

To begin with the th400 does not have a detent cable or switch. What you are asking about is the electrical kick down circuit. From my knowledge there should be a switch of sorts under or conected to your accelorator pedal that sends a voltage to the kick down solinoid which makes the tranny kick down a gear. You shouldn't have a cable going to the th400.

For a little more clarification, the 700r4 is the only tranny (that I know of) with a detent cable (Just talking about chevy trannys) The detent cable controls the throtle valve in the 700 which controls how much preasure is used during shifting. ( I could have part of this explaination wrong)

None the less, your 400 does not use a detent cable or wire, Sounds like you need to get the th400 kick down switch and conect it to the solinoid.

I did a search for "th400 kick down switch" and found this link. you might be able to find a cheaper one, this is the first thing that poped up.

It's a little past 1/2 way down the page...

http://www.gzperformance.com/driveline.html

Hope this info helped / hope I answered your question.

3. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Just read your post again.

I guess I didnt really explain the kick down solinoid specificly. When a voltage (12 volts ?) is applied to the solinoid it will cause your tranny to down shift. So you do not want to hook up a constant 12 volts to it. As my first PM stated, you need a switch under you accelorator to tell the tranny when to down shift.

The only thing that should happen with out this is it will not kick down automaticly, you could however just manually run it through the gears if you dont feel like spending $50 on a new switch.
    Anybody correct me if I'm wrong here I only have minimal tranny experience.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To begin with the th400 does not have a detent cable or switch. What you are asking about is the electrical kick down circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am qouteing from my B+M instruction manual that came with the shift kit. they call it a detent solenoid. they also said if the solinoid is not installed correctly, that the tranny will be stuck in passing gear. i dont know why they call it a detent solenoid instead of a kickdown soleniod, which is what it is. where does this switch go? on the firewall? intake manifold? or in the cab behind the pedal?

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Just leave it unplugged and downshift it by hand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif