Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

determining how much lift a set of springs have.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Sep 12, 2003.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have the stock front springs from an F250, from the bottom of the spring pack to the spring eye is 5.5 inches.
    I was told to subtract 1 inch from that and that will give a ball park figure for lift. Does that sound right?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I usually turn them upside down and measure how far they go from the floor, but this isn't a cut and dry way to measure them.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I was always told that if you turn them upsidedown, and measure and subtract 1" to 1.5", that will get you close. Reason for the subtraction is for vehicle and engine weight.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about how much lift it will give your truck?
    If so, you also have to take into account the springs that are on your truck now. The method for measuring and subtracting 1" would be fine if the springs on your truck are perfectly flat or have any positive arch. However, if they're stock front springs with negative arch, you have to add that height to the measurement of the F250 spring. That's why manufacturers of lift springs for these trucks can make a 4" lift spring with only 3 or so inches of free arch. If the springs on your truck have positive arch, then you don't need to add anything.