Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Determining what year trany/tcase???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by DuneRunner, Apr 29, 2003.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I purchased a 465/205 combo from a buddy. He doesn't know what year it was out of. I tried to clean the trany to find the numbers but they are to hard to make out. To Rusty. Is there a way to determine by the Tcase?

Numbers stamped? or is there a TAG on the 205 like on the 203 or 208s??? I need to spend about an hour cleaning the thing up. Its covered under .5" of dirt and grime... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated... THANKS KEN

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I purchased a 465/205 combo from a buddy. He doesn't know what year it was out of. I tried to clean the trany to find the numbers but they are to hard to make out. To Rusty. Is there a way to determine by the Tcase?

Numbers stamped? or is there a TAG on the 205 like on the 203 or 208s??? I need to spend about an hour cleaning the thing up. Its covered under .5" of dirt and grime... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated... THANKS KEN

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dune Mullet, I don't know for sure when they changed, but I know that '72 and earlier 465s have the lowwer two bellhousing bolts threaded and the bolts come from the inside of the bellhousing.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there should be a tag like all NP203's.

4. Anthony72K5

Anthony72K5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I purchased a 465/205

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

He is refering to the fact that there should be a tag on the 205 just like there is on 203's. Not that it is a 203. My 208 has the tag on the back of the case with the model number, low range ratio, and some other stuff. The tag can be covered in 20 years of crap though, so it can be hard to see.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The date usually doesn't matter a whole lot but there should be a tag under the shift rails on the 205 with a date stamp.
    If it has a yoke style front output it's '77 or older, the flat flange happened in 77-78 and up.
    If it has 8 bolts on the front of the 205 it's '84 or older, '85 and up had 6 bolts in a round pattern.
    That's really all that matters when you're working on it.

7. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif About a week ago I decided to get dirty and well It took more then a hour to clean. More like 3.

But it looks good I found the ever so popular TAG under the shift rails. Its Nice and almost NEW looking due to the fact that it was encapsulated in 27 years of DIRT and Grime. It was a 1976 Combo. The trany and T case are going to get new gaskets and we'll see where we go from there.

Thanks again. KEN