Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detonation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, May 29, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

got me an open element air cleaner in my engine and thats it

i get some detonation (soudns like backfiring at high rpm's) im wondering if a cowl hood, scoops, or a cold air system would fix this and if so, which and why.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

id check timing, and vaccum advance.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my timing keeps falling back

had a guy set it up 1 (was on 6, he set it 7 advanced) and it ran slightly better...

would setting it up all the way help?

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i mean it was spark knocking...he set it up, it was fine for a day or two, then it started knocking when i start it up in the morning

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A warm running engine will cause "pinging". Using an open element air filter allows the engine to suck in warm air from the engine bay. That may be the cause of your problem.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

when im on the gas on the HW it sounds like its backfiring but while im holding the gas down....

was thinkin scoops...or would cowl be better? i see alot of mud

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What exactly does it sound like? Is it popping out the exhaust or carb on high rpms /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... or does it sound more like someones inside your engine beating your piston with a hammer? Like a ping or a knock?

There should be somewhat of a correlation of what temperature your engine is operating at and how bad it detonates. When its cold it wont happen and when its hot and under load it does?

What octane are you running? if your only putting in 87 or 89, try filling up with 91 and see if it goes away. Your timing may be too far advanced, if the distribuitor loosened up and moved from like 7*BTDC up to 12 or 14, that could be your problem.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It could be an exhaust leak at the manifolds or at the flange...but you should be able to hear that at idle and not just at high RPMs...I don't think that a cowl hood would solve anything though, try putting the stock air cleaner back on...

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

seems to be only at high rpms up a grade

im going to have my timing checked tomorrow...gaskets on my headers are fine...and it sounds like its coming out the pipe...

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its high time for a tune-up. Time it to stock settings unless you've got someone who really knows whats up. Not someone who claims they're good on them there chev-ro-lets.

Removing all the emissions hoses (also illegal) and playing with the mechanical advacne rate and vac advance amount and then you can get some pretty cool settings in.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

SO is it pinging or missing?

If it's pinging at mid-throttle, especially under load(like going up a hill), you can bet it's a timing issue.

If it's missing under load at mid-high throttle, I'd have to say that you've got bad wires/cap/rotor.

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

its pinging...banging...whatever you wanna call it

not missing

it misses whenever i first fire it up and rev the gas...i have to drive it a while for it to stop that