Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit C-lockers? good or bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Nov 21, 2000.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I am considering a Detroit c locker for the rear of my 90 jimmy. I was condidering ARB, but I have heard alot of guys have problems keeping them working properly(seals et.). The rig is used on and off road but not extreme. I just want a freindly and hopefully quiet locker with no upkeep. What do you guys suggest??

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've had two detroits in my blazer (also my daily driver) and I won't ever run anything else in the rear. Originally I had a 12 bolt with a detroit back there for about a year, then I swapped in a 14 bolt FF six months ago. I never had any problems with the lockers. You might get a "clunk" every once and a while but that's about it.
    Driving with a detroit is not as big a deal as some would have you think. It does "push" when you step on the gas in a turn, and makes driving on ice/snow really fun in 2WD. It does make a big difference offroad too. I would recommend a detroit to anybody. Just drop it in and forget about it. As far as the ARB goes, I plan on running one in the front, but I dont have one. I say go for the detroit.

BIGJ

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine has been in for over a year. The only thing I find is that if I coast to a stop in gear. I have a manual. That when I go to take off the locker will sometimes unload and it makes a really bad noise. If you have an automatic you should not have this problem. I would recommend the locker for sure. It is great offroad and not bad on road.

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

My detroit does the same thing, with enouf of a clunk to make you jump. As for the ARB my front one in my 44 works fine and has never had any problems now the one I had in back was alway broken !!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

I am running the powertrax no-slip traction system in my 12 bolt and corp. 10 bolt, No clunking,no noise,great traction on and off the road. Detroits are good,but I like these for all around driving.