Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Diesel shoehorned into a 1 Ton

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ARAMP1, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Okay, here it goes...

I have access (was given, so the price is right) an 80s GMC truck and not sure what the size is (C7000 to C9000 I’m guessing) but it has a Detroit Diesel in it with a God only knows how many speed trans. I’m guessing the engine is either a 6V53 or a 6V71, naturally aspirated . The truck is a cement truck and hasn’t been driven in probably two years but drove fine when parked. I drove it in the mid 90s and it drove great. It belongs to my father and he got out of the cement business a year and a half ago and it’s just sitting there.

Anyway, I’m contemplating transplanting engine and trans into my 1 Ton Chevy (wouldn't it be a BEAST!?!). Hopefully, it’s the 6V53 which, even though heavy, is a bit lighter. I’ve seen a few done on diesel-central.com, but right now, I’m looking for references and information. Anyone have a good Detroit Diesel website or anything with repowering? Comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

2. ARAMP1

Here are some pics of a 6V53 going into a 93 3500HD. Looks like it's not too bad of a fit. The last picture is of the road ranger trans.

Chevy 3500 with 6V53 1.jpg

Chevy 3500 with 6V53 2.jpg

Chevy 3500 with 6V53 3.jpg

Chevy 3500 with 6V53 Trans.jpg

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have one...it came out of a cement truck as well..... when we really looked at it seriously I said no way...

weight was a major issue,,, I believe more than the 60 would like.. in excess of 1500 pounds
    they arent great on horsepower or fuel mileage so the conversion didnt justify it
    the transmission options (auto) were limited
    they are older technology

I just bought a cummins 6bt,,,, that made much more sense for the conversion...

but if you did the 6v... imagine the roar that thing would make,,,sounding like the garbage truck everytime you went down the street...!!!

4. ARAMP1

I know a CTD would be more practical. It is a very popular swap, but the Detroit is FREE!!!!! I realize that free usually adds up after it's all said and done. The swap would be different though.

BTW, the 6v53 weighs just under 1500 (1485 to be exact). That's only a few hundred more than a new ford or dodge diesel. I bet it could handle it no problem. As for mileage, my 454 gets 10mpg right now, can't be much worse than that.

It may be something else too. It's been 1995 or so since I've seen it. It may even be an 8.2L. (which is roughly the same weight as a CTD or Powerstroke) I'm going to have to bribe/pay my little brother (who's still in highschool and living at home) to go and take pictures of it. I won't be able to take leave and get back home for a couple months to check it out.

6v53.JPG

Detroit Diesel Fuel Pincher.JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so that image posts the horses - what about the lbft on that thing??

6. ARAMP1

:confused: Good question. That's all I could find as far as specs go.

7. colbystephens

i bet with a 500ci motor - it's gotta be a big enough lbft to rip your truck in half. :D you'll have to post pics of the carnage. who gives a crap about horsepower anyway? you don't buy a diesel for ponies. you buy it for canjones. :)

8. ARAMP1

:thinking: Never have I heard such truth spoken!!

9. colbystephens

i conveniently thought it up just for your thread. :) then i added it to my sig. :D

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If I had that engine for free and the truck to put it in, I would do it just for the unique factor, who cares about economy or ease of transplant with our hobby?
    I have a perkins TD in my K5 and it weighs 1400lbs, I have rancho lift springs with a leaf added on the front, still running D44 front and with the SM465/205 shock loading has snaped an axle shaft once but otherwise been wheeling it for 5 years and enjoying it.
    I always get the: "what the hell is this thing?"
    :D
    I tell them it came out of a farm tractor so it's right at home here in the rough.
    :haha:
    With the auto tranny you are safer on the running gear.

By the way, you sure it's N/A?
    I thought they were all supercharged, the pic you show shows a supercharger on the side.

IceMan

11. ARAMP1

I’m not really sure. I thought it was n/a, but it’s been over 6 years since I’ve even seen the thing, let alone driven it. I’m going to pay/bribe my little brother, who is still in highschool and living at home with my parents, to go out and take pictures of it. He really doesn’t know what he’s looking for, so I figure that with the pictures, I’d be able to tell for sure what the engine and trans was.

BTW: Love to see some pics of your Perkins powered K5

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I will try and find some pics from last year but now it's being parted out and the engine is going into a crew cab 4x4 which will have the bed shortened and made into a wheeler and it will have the SM465/205 32 spline behind a brownie box reduction box.
    I also have an exhaust brake to add and I will put my propane injection finally to take advantage of the power available.
    IceMan

13. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I've got a Lincoln Tech Motor and Heavy Truck Repair manual that covers 2 and 4 stroke detroits. If you have specific questions, I might could look up some info for you.

14. ARAMP1

I actually just got back from the public library looking for something like that. I've looked for stuff on the web, but there isn't much out there. I may have some questions for you shortly. Thanks.

15. ARAMP1

Good to know about the blower. Can't see the picture. :(

Anyway, I'll be using some kind of manual transmission. I've heard stories of too much shock to the driveline, but I need to row my own gears. The engines have the round SAE bellhousing, so it should be fairly easy to find a trans.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have an SAE belhousing for an SM465 if you want it, it's from a C60 truck.

17. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I remember an 8.2L being a V8, and that sure looks like a V6. I'm thinking 6V53, too.

18. ARAMP1

Have you dynoed it? What kind of power is it putting out?

Definitely too big for a 1 ton. Me thinks the biggest v8 that will fit in my truck is the 8.2L.

19. ARAMP1

I don't have pictures. The truck is at my parent's house. I'm going to have to bribe my little brother, who still lives at home with my parents, to go out and take some pictues.

I also can't have an automatic. I've got to row my own. I'd probably just end up using the tranny that is in the truck. I don't know what it is. It's been so long since I've personally driven the truck. I remember it having 10-13 gears.

20. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status