Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit driveability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hi. Question for those of you with Detroits on your trucks. How badly does it impact driveability on-road? I'm hoping to swap axles soon and when I do I wanna put a locker in. I drive alot on road when my girl takes our other car, so onroad driveability is important. I hear people say Detroit is better than an ARB air locker, that the air systems have probs but it sounds good to be able to turn it on and off. -shrug-

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

its fun. You may sometimes look like a drunk. But off road you cant beat it. On road its fun to turn the corner then hist the gas hard! Almost as good as a rollercoaster, what a ride!

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

What axle are you swapping in? If it's a 14FF the only thing you can put in there is a detroit. ARB doesn;t make one for the 14FF yet.

And it does get squirly sometimes but it's not that bad. The off-road performance makes up for it all.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

The few quirks on road are definitely worth it when you get the thing off road! You will get some of the "locker weave" when you get on and off the gas pedal, but it's not that bad. You will also hear some "clunks" every once in a while, since there is some slop built into the Detroits...it sounds scary sometimes, but is usual. Understeers a bit if you stay on the gas in a turn, and of course will bark the tires around sharp corners under power...but these are all minor things that you won't even notice after a while.

If you will actually use the truck off road in places that require full traction, it is well worth the minor "quirks". If this is a street truck that will see only minor off roading, yeah, maybe stick to a limited slip (or limited grip as I like to call them), it has transparent street manners. Everyone I know that has gone to a Detroit says they would never think twice about them again!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

iv had mine in for a few weeks now and love it its not as bad as people make it out to be /forums/images/icons/smile.gif they do take a little getting used to /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but well worth it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i never noticed mine rreally when i swapped axles from gov lock to detroit . i have ap/u tho . mine doent really do any strange things ....

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

To be completely honest, I don't own a Detriot locker. I prefer my welded diff. It is always the same. It does not unlock. It is absolutely, positively predictable. It is just like a spool. It will wear the rear tire faster just like a locker and it will bark the tire in a turn. Off road, it has the awesome traction of pulling both tires at all times. An added advantage is that you can weld your diff, and if you don't like it, invest in a limited slip. You don't have to set it up twice or drop big money twice. As for strength, as long as it is welded by someone who has a clue about welding, you won't have any problems. Mine was welding using 1/8" 7018 rods. I broke a l.5" diameter, 35 spline Dana 70 axleshaft, and the welds are still there. In fact, they are way stronger than any of the metal around them.

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Something you may also consider is tire wear. My Detroit is new to me along with my $200+ Goodyear MTR's I hate to hear the inside tire scrubbing away on the pavement, kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard !!! But, like said... off-road you will love its performance. You may wait to see what the new E-Locker costs... It will be available for the 14bolt this summer.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you want buzz over here to my house and I will let you drive mine. I have a detroit in a 14ff and love it and I think if you drive it you will not be bothered with it at all. Also I hooked up with a guy from Hanover that is going to be getting a club started in the area so it might interest you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Serious though if you want to drive a Detroited truck shoot me a pm. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I've had a Detroit in my 12bolt for over 2 years and it's the best thing I ever spent money on. The on road drivability is great, no problems if you learn to drive it like you have it. Take turns slower, do the little compensations in your driving style and you won't even know it's there until you hit the dirt!

11. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my Gov-Lock within next year,and I'm thinking to get either Detroit or ARB.What worries me most is that we have slippy,icy roads almost half a year.So I figured that with Detroit Blazer is a nightmare to drive on ice.I have driven Blazer only little on slippy roads,and I noticed that it spins really fast due to it's short wheel base compared to my brothers long bed C-10.
    I'm gonna have air compressor anyway,so that is not a problem.

12. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

im going to be running a detroit on the street pretty soon. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

13. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The way it's described sounds like driving in 4x4. I'm assuming that pavement cruising won't damage it. A local club does sound cool Wayne /forums/images/icons/wink.gif My truck is basically bone stock though, with small ass tires so I don't have much in the way of offroad power but I'm workin on it hehe.

It's a bitch, the way things build on each other. I really wanna get new tires cuz it looks weird on the little ones but to get new tires, i need new wheels. If I plan to go 14ff, I need 16x10 8 lug. Then I need the axle swap to put the wheels on. Then I need a 4-6" lift to not scrape and eat up the wheels. Ugh! Hehe. I think I'll get the lift and some 15x10 6 lugs and run them till I save up the $ for the axle swap.

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Like I said you can come and drive mine. Give me a shout if you need help working on it or if you need parts.

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Air lockers don't like to stay on in the cold... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Ask me how I know...
    Then again, going up to ski in Tahoe leaving them off, is a breeze.

Besides, last I checked ARB does NOT make an Air locker for the 14FF.... only the SF.

16. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot, may take you up on that offer sometime /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You will know it's there but you get use to it. Just don't try to cut a quick u-turn. It will push the front wheels and you will go straight. LOL.

18. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

is something wrong with your carrier? if not you might want to consider a lockrite. great if you dont have big (over 33") all the advantages of a detroit and dont have to change the carrier or mess with ring gear. and it is a lot cheaper.
    it does take a little getting use to. i have been on mine for about a month now, and i still feel it when i let off the gas when i have been in a turn under power, then slow down. you have to ease off on the wheel a little to compensate fro the power trying to make you go staight.
    and off road it is GREAT. but if funds are not an issue, i would have to opt for an ARB. it would be nice to drive open on the road
    good luck
    chris

19. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I haven't driven my truck much since i put it in, but all I noticed was a little side to side movement when I let off the gas or get back on it. Mine is in a 14ff, I heard these aren't as noticable as the full case units.

20. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a 14B w/Detroit and have been driving it for several months now. Based upon what a lot of people had said I was rather reluctant to do it because of the amount of on-road miles the Jimmy gets.

I have two comments about the Detroit. First, out of all the mods I have made, it is by far the best. Second, on-road driveabality is almost a non-issue. Do it, you will not regret it.