Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Easy Locker Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by csnutrition, Jul 13, 2004.

1. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

Thinking about installing a Detroit Easy Locker in a Dana 44 front end. I'm running 36" TSL Radials and was looking for some pro's and cons. I'm not a serious wheeler, mainly hunting and occasional weekend. Are there any tricks to installing. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have heard someone on here didn't like it. I run one ( gen gear made by tractech same thing )in my rear 12 bolt and love it. Since you do not have c-clips up front , it will be a lot easier . That was the hardest thing I had to do , make sur the c-clips stayed in when putting the rest in. They make a little noise when going around corners slow , as the gears overrun, but beig upfront in slow speeds wheeling I don't think it will bang very often at all . Replace the side gear thrust washers while your in there , and get a new crosshaft/pinion shaft /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TheRobZilla runs one in the front D44 and he has beat the hell out of it. His truck is a hardcore rock rig. He runs 35's. He has broken a number of axles an the locker still lives. He had one in the rear 12 bolt though that blew apart in less then 100 feet of use.

Front yes, rear no.

Harley

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Unless you already bought it, buy a Powertrax LockRight. At $200 from Jeg's they're significantly cheaper plus they're marginally stronger than the EZ Locker.

I've beat on my LockRights in both my 10 bolts for almost a year with 33s. No issues yet.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might look into a Power trax Lockrite locker. I think they are better than Detroit EZ lockers. I have known a few people who have broke EZlockers even on light Jeeps.
    Detroit copyed the Lockrite design. There was a law suit between the 2 companies and lockrite won. Detroit had to change the design of the EZ Lock and the new design is weaker in my opinion.
    I have ran a lockrite for over 4 years now with no problems except I had to replace the pinion pin because the extra stress of a locked rear end and hard wheeling wore it out

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Works fine for me in my Blazer , perhaps its driving style . I'll see if my rear one lasts . Looked strong to me in my hand when I put it back in /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I am reading some things now. And it seems the guy who designed the Ez Locker left to go work for Powertrax . The lockright is the copy . And its settled now, didn't go all the way to supreme court, EZ locker can stay as it is with no changes. Detroit Ez locker has buttons on the springs so they last longer . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Court Documents

Court PDF

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I guess I had it backwards. Thanks for setting me straight.
    I rembered reading about the law suit. Its been a while, guess i got the facts confused. Must be old age /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    There is not acually a lot of diference between the two lockers. Its just that I have seen the detroits break before. But I have read a few posts here about people blowing Lockrites too.
    Could be installation. I know with lockrites, they work best if you use a new pinion pin and thrust washers. If you just throw them in an old sloppy wore out rear end they will blow.