Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Electrac vs. OX Locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kpanza, Feb 10, 2003.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with either of these selectable lockers? My brother is trying to decide which one to get for his Dana 44 frontend. Myself, I have the ARB up front, with Detroit out back and love both. He also has a Detroit in rear, wants to lock up front now. So, anyone have any pros/cons on either one? I'm not sure I like the fact that the Electrac remains a limited slip (basically a Truetrac) when not locked up...I like the unit to either be locked or totally open on the rocks...but that's just me.

Any opinions (hopefully based on experience) would be greatly appreciated!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

No experience with either, but I'm pretty sure that the TrueTrac isn't rated for tires larger than around 32 inches. So if they added a locking mechanism to it, then it probably won't be the hot ticket for hard core wheelers. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Think it was 4wheel&offroad that tested the OX.
    Ford--- twin sticked, front wheel drive-- locked.
    Drove and turned till the hubs snapped- no problems with the OX.
    Looks beefy to me.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry! That was kind of what I thought, and I just am not comfortable with the thing being a limited slip when it is not a locker...I mean, the whole point to me of a selectable locker is to be able to have the diff either fully locked for teh tough stuff, or fully unlocked for the easy stuff (and thereby saving the axle undue stress when unlocked). I have also heard that the OX is pretty dang strong...guess he needs to do some more research on this. He loves the way my ARB works up front, but it does get a little tiring replacing the o-ring seals every year or two to prevent leaks...only downside to them.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I mean, the whole point to me of a selectable locker is to be able to have the diff either fully locked for teh tough stuff, or fully unlocked for the easy stuff (and thereby saving the axle undue stress when unlocked).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about that. The truetrack is the same as a torsen. It has no preload in it at all. If you were to jack up the front end with the hubs locked in and turned one tire the other one would spin the other way with no effort at all. I think it is a very good idea.

On the other hand I would worry about the strength. The worm cut gears in those things put some huge stress on the case...which is why they go boom with big tires...

If they beefed it up when they put the locker in it I think it would be the best locker out there.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

**(and thereby saving the axle undue stress when unlocked).**

Honestly I don't understand this philosphy. The highest stress by far on the axle is going to occur when you are trying that difficult obstacle in which you need the front locked.