Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit electrac worthy of consideration?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am debating how I wanna lock up my D60 I am going to be putting under my truck...I have though about ARB, but it is EXPENSIVE and I have heard of people blowing the o-ring out and you need to rip the entire differential apart...Thought about a Detroit locker, but I drive this thing every day and it might be a handful in the winter. Then I was looking at the new electrac from Detroit...The limited slip makes it enviable in the winter and since it is electric, there are no orings to blow out...plus you don't have to DRILL a hole in the housing like with an ARB...Any thoughts?

Chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd use a Detroit and just lock one hub in front in the winter.

That's what I'm going to do...only I'll probably use a Lock-Right instead.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Last winter when I was up there I never had to use 4WD at all except in that big blizzard. With the welded rear I had no problem gettting around in just 2wd. I only locked the front hubs in when we got that 36" of snow. I backed out of the driveway and drove around no problems. But with that much snow locked front and rear is the way to go. Also remember that your 2wd is just as good or better then most people's 4wd because they have open diffs and the power goes to the tires without traction.

When we got that storm the guy down the street from me with the 79 F150 4x4 was stuck in his driveway and going balls out to get out with his open diffs. He got pissed when I just hit reverse and backed out like it was no big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harley

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did you wave at him and grin????

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No, but I basically just did it to rub in the fact that my truck was better then his. I pulled out without a problem and then just turned around in the intersection and pulled back in the driveway. I did it just to show him I could and he couldn't. He was not a happy camper. I don't think he realized that I was locker front and rear, but what he doesn't know won't hurt him, just his ego. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

He was spinning alot of RPM and alot of tire to try and get out of his driveway, but he couldn't. Hell, he was even running bigger tires then mine. I was only running 32's at the time so I am sure my truck looked pretty stock to him. Hope his ego heals..............no I don't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been building diff covers for the detroit electric locker and talking to the owners of them. The detroit electric is integrated into the diff cover and has a really cheap plate guard that bolts on to it (hence the covers I've been making). The actuator is plastic, sits right out front in harms way and held on with 2 really small allen head bolts. Most of the owners complained about it either not actuating properly or geting stuck in the lock position. We've all agreed that we like the idea when it works properly and that having a diff cover made to stick out and over the edge of the diff by 6" protects it well enough and still allows you to pull the electric actuator for the manual engagement plunger should the electric one fail (at least they include that). It is a rather cheesy mechanism though.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, if ya wanna avoid the cheese, pony up the big bux and get an OX locker. from everything Ive seen, that sucker is not only a machinist's work of art but beefy as hell too.

j

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have though about ARB, but it is EXPENSIVE and I have heard of people blowing the o-ring out and you need to rip the entire differential apart...

[/ QUOTE ]

When i needed to make this same decision, i looked at the prices... Detroit ~550, ARB ~650, Electrac and OX ~900 bucks... I don't think the OX is really that much more than an Electrac..
    I decided to go with an ARB... and read tons of posts before i bought one... Some guys talk of the seals going out... others brag of running their ARBs for over 3 years with no problems at all.
    Welding the spiders and using all that money instead of for a locker, will get you all the parts for a complete rebuild from hub to hub doesn't sound too bad either.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have an ARB in mine and have had no problems.
    I get more snow than you and it works just fine in the winter too.
    The thing to also think about is your turning radius with a locker. Having the ability to disconnect most of the time helps you make tight turns and is easier on your power stearing and frame. When I wheel and need my locker, I turn it off just as I get to the end of what I needed it for to free up the steering. I know they cost a lot but it's nice to have a little on board air also. I think the electic locker is a great idea but I would give it a few years to work the bugs out before I bought one myself.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You might want to ask the folks at www.tractech.com what their largest recommended tire size is for the Electrac. I seem to recall that the True Trac isn't rated for very big tires. The case would need extra machining to fit both the True Trac and the electric locker assembly inside of it, making it even weaker. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So unless they came up with some magic, it may not be the hot ticket for hard core wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

When I spoke to the guys at Randy's ring and pinion they told me I wouldn't want the electrac in a D60 front application. It wouldn't be strong enough.