Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit + Flanges, ratcheting on the street?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MattK, Dec 23, 2006.

1. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Anyone on here with a detroit ever run it on the street with flanges or just locked hubs?

I dont DD my truck and I'm thinkin about getting flanges instead of using my 35 spline warn premiums. The lockouts are still new in box, so I should be able to just about break even if I sell em and snag some flanges.

I can handle some ratcheting since I more or less only drive this truck to and from wheeling, and the occasional joy ride.

Also, does anyone know anything about Teraflex flanges? They seem like the only ones that you can remove the puck and retain the cover.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you have the warn's run them. you will be spinning everything all the time with slugs. its not that much work to get out and lock them in.

You can run a stock end cover if you pull the slug. just tap it in with a hammer and go. doesn't weigh much or take up much room in the toolbox.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I leave my hubs locked pretty often and have no issues with it at all.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I road in another members truck that had flanges and a Detroit and didn't notice any bad manners. Once the t-case is in 2wd the Detroit should "unlock" at some point so that only one side will turn.

Keep in mind that since there will still be some parts turning your front shaft may need to be balanced to cut down on vibes - assuming it sees enough street time to matter.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have run with my hubs locked on the street lots of times and have never noticed the detroit do anything. With no torque input, the detroit pretty much acts like an open diff.

Go for the flanges. I know I saw some flanges from a vendor on pirate that allowed you to pull the puck (they weren't Teraflex).

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Go with the flanges. Then you have the piece of mind knowing that your hubs wont grenade. You wont notice it at all other than the above mentioned d-shaft balancing.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

This is my main concern. Some say 35 spline hubs will last, just as many or more say they pop pretty quickly. I've seen the 30 spline and 35 spline hubs side by side and there is definitely more material with the 30 spline hubs. The D60 bible says they become a considerably weak link. I dont have a problem with my junk turnin at all times, as I said this truck doesn't get driven often. I was just hopin that im not gonna be poppin and jerkin taking tight turns.

Thanks for the input guys.