Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Apr 19, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thinking about getting a detroit front for my D44 this week. I do not want an arb, too much money and stuff to break. What do yall think about steering offroad with a detroit in the front axle? Pain in the a$$ or just something to get used to? My detroit rear and axle rebuilds came in yesterday, I'm stoked and ready to get the rest, just deciding what to get. I don't suppose a lock right or det. gearless would hold up to my 36s and heavy right foot. And not too sure I want a LSD. Might as well go full hardcore if I'm gonna spend the money right? So any experiences with a Detroit frontend? Thanks

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've got a Detroit in the front of both my Chevy dually crewcab and Jeep CJ5. They work great, but if you're under power (throttle on) they tend to want to go straight. No problem though, you just gotta get used to it. I say go for it and never look back...and never worry about breaking it (like an ARB or any other posi!!).

ken

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Appreciate it ken. I've seen them in the front of jeeps and yotas, just wanted to know how they performed with a little beef over the tires. It works well in your crewcab, I'm getting one!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit in the front of my K5. I love it. It's only a problem when you are jammed up in the rocks, but even then all you have to do, to turn, is throw it in reverse while turning. The Detroit will uncouple and allow you to turn. When I hit the gas I know all 4 tires are turning all the time. Besides it makes it easier to drive over heeps with the front locked.
    CB

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

In my one ton crewcab dually (42" Swampers & 10" Superlift) I normally run it in the sand at Pismo Beach (CA) and NEVER EVER get stuck. In fact, we were coming out this past weekend and the river crossing was up over my 42" tires!!! No problem with dual Detroits and 6 42" Swampers though!! I love my Detroit front and would not even think of any other locking device up front other than a Detroit!! DETROITS RULE!!!

ken