Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit in 14FF ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Feb 13, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hey I have a detroit in my 14FF and it unlocks when I do the check with wheels off the ground but I have yet to here it click while in the truck going around corners. It also almost always scuffs the inside tire when turning. Is this normal do I just have a "tight" detriot? Not complaining about it just curious. I think it unlocked once cause I got on it and it snapped the truck straight and just kinda launched well as good as a tired 350 can launch 5500#:doah: .

Ira

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I never hear mine, but then my truck is bloody noisy.

-- A

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have never heard a detroit make any kind of ratcheting sound. The best you can do to keep the inside tire from chirping is to keep of the gas while the wheels are turned. You will learn how to make it work better on the street. Enjoy the traction!

4. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When Mine Is Off The Ground It Is Unlocked As Well, Its Completely Normal.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I never hear my Detroit rachet. Mine has pretty good manners when turning corners when I am easy on the gas. If I give it enough, it will chirp the inside tire. The biggest thing I notice is the fact that my Burb is driven by the outside tire in a turn rather than the inside like an open diff. It almost feels like the tires are slipping or something.

Can't beat it offroad though!:haha: :haha: :bow: :bow:

6. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

make sure your tire pressures are the same.After install mine made some noise.I checked the pressure in my new tires they were way off 15lbs.Smooth now.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine makes no noise at all. I cant even tell its back there unless I power around a corner then it chirps the inside tire:D . I guess I expected it to sound like a grinder out back:D .

Ira

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My detroit almost never unlocks in turns on pavement unless I'm going above 7 or so mph and totally coasting. Not complaining either, it's a trailer queen.

9. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

let me rephrase that ,not really a ratcheting sound,more of a boom clang bam,and as I think about I really could'nt hear it,more like feel it.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I never hear any clicking, but I do get the occassional 'bang'. I guess if the circumstances are just right it gets a little bound up, then releases hard the next time it can. Usually as I'm pulling away from a light or something.

My favorite quirk is the "locker unduced lane change" felt during shifts. I'm not even aware I'm correcting for it anymore...until I drive something without a Detroit. :doah: :haha:

Rene

11. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine kinda swoops to the right when I go from I'm getting on it and suddenly get off of it.Kinda becomes second nature.

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haha yeah those are the best. I don't notice mine anymore either until I don't drive it for awhile then it's like whoa. That was the only thing I had to get used to with mine. I can imagine it's way worse with a stick.

13. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My detroit took a minute to get accustomed to, with all the swooping in and out of lanes, and the occasional bang ....... yes when there is no load on the axle, you can spin 1 tire only but if you spin the drive shaft they will lock up...thats why detoits are so cool because you can coast around corners without chirping and compromise the tread as much as a full spool or weld.

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

how is eveyone doing on tire wear with there detriots?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006