Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit in a suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midget, Mar 2, 2003.

1. midget

midget Registered Member

I've got a '74 suburban with a dana 60/TH400/NP205/10.5 14 bolt combination with 35 12.50's. I was thinking of going with a detroit in the back but am worried about eating up components/tires. It is a daily driver, tow vehicle and regularly used trail truck. I didn't know if a non-selectable locker would be to much for a truck that is driven every day and towes a trailer. Thanks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have had Detroits in 2 daily drivers and loved them. I say go for it.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With the components you have I wouldn't worry about eating those up. Tires are a different story. They will wear faster with the locker back there. Keep them rotated and I don't think you will have a huge problem with that. The traction benefits outweight the tire wear in my opinion.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just put a detroit in my suburban 2 weeks ago and i really like it. it's a daily driver too. honestly the road manners aren't as bad as some people say, once in a while it'll lock up really hard and scare me but it's not bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. midget

midget Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on doing some more fender trimming and getting a set of 38's. Given this, do you think the detroit would still be ok for street/towing? Also, how do you get around the big tires hitting the inner fender wheel wells with the 4 inches (same as i have)? I already hit a little with full articulation when the tires are turned. I would like to keep the lift at what i have now.... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There are many people running 44's and detroits - they are very stout units. As with most lockers, I don't think that they recommend you tow with them, but if you're nice to it, it should be fine. The easiest way to get around the tires hitting the inner fenderwells is to get out a sawzall and start cutting. There are many threads on here about fender trimming (including an article in the tech section) so do a search for those. About the only other option would be to install the ORD zero rate (look in "Product Reviews") and install it so that it locates the axle one inch forwards. This will keep those big tires from tagging the inner fender and firewall.
    Hope that helps.