Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit in front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OLD DAWG, Oct 18, 2004.

1. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how many of you are running detroit lockers up front in a Dana 60? I'm considering it but I was just curious about the pros/cons /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I do. The only downfall if you want to call it that is now i need crossover steering and would like hyd assist. I think it is a plus but the wife would disagree /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

We do, pluss crossover and a Redneck Ram. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't a selectable locker be a better choice in the front? Air or electric? A friend of mine has an ARB and loves it.

-Chris

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I went with a detroit in my 60 with the rock ram system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The reason I did not go with arb is cost & potential for an problem with air compressor or lines failng. A friend with an heep had the ox locker in a d44 and kept breaking them.He now runs detroits in f-r dana 60's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also a friend with a detroit e-locker had problems with a dana 44 in a wrangler. I think he is also getting rid of the axles for something bigger. IMHO someone else might need the selectable locker but I'll stay with detroits.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I looked into this awhile back. I dropped in a lock-right to save some $. I found the $300 LR to be very reliable and it never gave me problems. I even broke a stub shaft on it once, and still no problems. Jumped to 35sp outers, and it just kept going.

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Yup, I've got a Detroit in my 60 with 5.13's.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go for it. People will tell you front lockers are bad because it makes it hard to steer unless you can unlock them like an ARB. They are exagerating. You do feel more resistence and need a little more steering input but it is not as bad as some may make out. Get crossover steering (with a D60 it is easy) and don't worry about it.

My truck has a front lockright and was no real problem to steer offroad, then crossover steering made it a non issue. With crossover steering with the front locker is just like steering without a locker.

Just don't engage the frontend on dry pavement (which you shouldnt do anyway). That is very hard to steer.

A front locker is worth EVERY penny offroad.

Harley

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree, once I got a front locker, I thought my truck would go anywhere. I was kinda right--traction is no longer an issue. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have a lockright because I'm cheap, but a detroit would work the same way.

I would not have an ARB. I like my auto lockers.

10. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I'm already going with cross over steering. Dang this stuff starts to get expensive /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't a selectable locker be a better choice in the front? Air or electric? A friend of mine has an ARB and loves it.

-Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have hydro I would suggest a detroit. I have an ARB and it sucks turning it off and on. Also if the pump or lines go it useless. Detroit would be the best option IMO.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i love my front/rear detroits. Sure, there is some resistance to turning tight corners, but so what, thats why hydro is for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j