Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker and Welded Spiders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 7, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Lets say you had two rigs;

One is a longbed '80 truck on 39.5" Boggers with a 14 bolt and 4.56 gears.

The other is a '76 K5 Blazer (but converted to basically a shortbed truck), also with a 14 bolt rear and 4.56 gears, running 38's and sometimes the 39.5's.

Now, say you had one Detroit Locker to go in one of them, and you would weld the spider gears on the other rig.

Assuming both see about the same amount of on-road use (not very much), which rig do you think should get the locker and which should get welded spiders?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Welded in the K5, Detroit in the Longbed. Detroit will unlock and help keep steering as tight as possible in the long bed and the K5's steering will get a little worse and act more like the longbed.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Screw it weld em both. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, weld them both and send me the Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

thats kinnda a tough one...
    Like already said the long bed could use the detroit for steering but a welded rear in a long bed if alot of fun for playing in the mud, or anywhere when you have a little room, BTW Donuts in a LWB are great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

When is the next mud fest up there in Allen town?

7. mountainexplorer

Somewhere between the last weekend in April and the 3rd weekend in May. We're still trying to find a weekend when no other local 4x4 events are scheduled.

I'll let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. scoutillac

I am going to sell my burban in a year. I am going over seas and don't want to mess with storage. So I want to get some wheelin in. Besides I haven't been in awhile. Check out my link, I should do ok. I have a buddy that just got his Blazer going on 40's. He is anxious to wheel a bit too.

9. mountainexplorer

I was wanting to do the Detroit in the longbed and the welded spiders in the shorter wheelbase "truck Blazer" (as we call it).

But, as things are looking, I'm in a hurry to get the Truck Blazer going by this weekend, and I have a 14 bolt Detroit locker with the 4.56 gears (that need to be installed anyway since I have 4.56's in the front and 4.10s in the rear right now), so I may just stuff the Detroit in it and do welded spiders in the other truck later this year.

I just wasn't sure if anyone knew if welded spiders in a shorter rig would be a bit squirrelly or not. I'm not too worried about the turning radius in the longbed. I was used to driving a Crew Cab on 40's with horrible steering a while back.

10. mountainexplorer

What part of town do you live in. Seems like Ive seen the Suburban before, but I'm not positive.

Are you guys going to be out at 7-Mile this next weekend? A couple friends and I went out today just to see what the mud was like right now and had a bit of fun. Trying to get a bunch of us going out next Saturday and Sunday the 13th and 14th.

11. scoutillac

I am just north of the base. About 10-15 minutes from the ORV park. When will you be there? What time? I have to work weekend from 3-11pm. I might be able to come out for a little while. E-mail me closer to the weekend. stephen.braz@fairchild.af.mil or s_sbraz1@netzero.com There are three burbans the same color and size. The little details set us off. Mine isthe only one with that huge roof rack.

12. mountainexplorer