Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker DD question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by puckhead, Jul 11, 2005.

1. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

I got a 14bff 3:73 yesterday for 42.00. I was thinking about putting a detroit locker in it and was wondering. do they make a racheting sound when turning? How loud it is? and is using it in a DD an "acceptable" thing to do? If not what are my other options do they make an air locker for it?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Detroits usually dont make any noises except for some tire chirping on some tight corners...

You're other options are a Tru-trac(LSD), ARB airlocker, full spool or Mini spool...

The ARB would be the ultimate, but the price tag is around $980!

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I had one in my 12 bolt and plan to add one in my 14 bolt. Bolth daily drivers. Over the Flows all I could hear was some tire chirping while gassing through tight corners. And you will feel it when you get on the gas while turning. And they are alot better than a limited slip. With the limited slip I could see that one tire would spin faster than the other while the detroit kept 'em going the same speed. :waytogo:

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Oh, and Teraflex is supposed to be coming out with their T-Locker for the 14ff also. It is a selectable locker similar to the ARB.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have one in the 14 bolt FF in my DD, no problems whatsoever. My truck has an auto in it so I don't hear any noise from it at all, in my old truck w/ a 4spd the same Detroit was a little noisy on rare occasions but never bad. As far as being acceptable, I run radial tires and the wear is a little accelerated but nothing bad (naturally, it would be worse with bias tires). I would think the tire wear would would be the only possible issue. Some people worry about strange characteristics on the street but IMO this is way over analyzed, you'll get used to it just like you would bigger tires or an engine performance upgrade.

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like everyone else said, tire chirping is about all you will notice. I did however have it make a bang for me one day. Still unsure of how that happened but heard it once and that was it.

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

When I had the 4 speed in the burb the detroit locker would make a noise that would made you believe the transmission had fallen out beneath the truck :eek1: . Now with the TH400 you would barely notice it.

8. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

A bang or clang may be heard from time to time, but it is pretty rare. I loved mine in my last truck and can't wait to put in my 14ff with Detoit in this one. I think it makes a fine DD if nothing else, the dependability outways any of the negative characteristics.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I never hear anything from mine. You can tell on tight turns as already stated. I especially notice when there is loose gravel, because you can really hear the inside tire slipping on the loose surface.

I think they redesigned the no-spin recently so that it doesn't make loud noises, I know mine never has.

10. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 speed in my burb and you would think the windows are going to pop out! with an auto you wont notice it so bad ,but with a stick its clunky.