Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit locker does your act like a welded rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Nov 12, 2002.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

mine does everytime i turn it chirps the tires are they suppose to do this? also it does alot clunking is this normal ?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't have a detroit, but here is my impression:

Tire chirping: Due to the design, both axleshafts MUST turn at least the speed that the ring gear is turning. So, if you make a u-turn where the inner tire actually needs to rotate very little, then that tire will chirp as it is being forced to spin at the rate of the ring gear.

Clunking: Detroits have quite a bit of backlash built into them. I do not know why, but they do. basklash = slop = clunking

-- Mike

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you are under power on a fairly tight turn, then yes they will chirp. If you are coasting around a turn and/or under light power ("light" depends on the power of your motor), there should be no chirping.

As far as clunking, mine is fairly quiet. I can not even hear its ratcheting ovre the sound of my motor and tires.

Does yours always chirp the tires no matter what on a corner? If so, that ain't right.

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes it only does it when i put a little power into it not all the time the clunking comes when you ease off the gas or when going from drive to reverse i hope txmudder is rite about the detroit has alot of backlash in it

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Normal manners for a Detroit. They do make their presents known. It takes a little driving to get use to it.

6. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

The only time I really know it's there is when I'm on the highway and I let off it then gas it again. Someone that's never driven my truck would be in the next lane (it jerks to the right). My .02 Sean

7. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thats sound good too here.i just swaped it in with the 4;56s that i had last weekend i thought the backlash was set rite then but it was clunking so i pulled the cover back off this evening and rechecked the backlash it was fine but when i put the axles back in thats when its feels like to much backlash so thats what made me think i had a problem and yes i see that it going to take some getting used too and i have got to get use to them 4;56s

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i had a gov-loc then one day i did a real tight u-turn and i straighten out and then BAM, i didnt take much notice since my truck makes lots of noises, then i take a turn, chirp chirp chrip chirp, uh oh, so i back up violently to see if i can get it to unlock, then i take it home, get my dad to go for me to feel what im feeling, i step on the gas hard in 2nd gear, and WA-BAM, sounded like someone hit the side of the truck, i get it home, open the cover, i cracked the carrier in half. oh well, i dont think its normal for a detroit to lock around a turn like that, ive only heard of them locking when you straighten the wheel.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Gotta love a Detroit. They have a ton of backlash which is all the clunking you hear. It does not take much power to lock them. They will ratchet around a corner when you are not on the gas but if you drive slow through a parking lot (like I have to at work) going from isle to isle I can actually hear the inside tire scrubbing. Also so you know and are forwarned, don't be surprized if you are just cruising down the road and all of a sudden you have a loud bang and it feels like the rear axle is about to come out of the truck, it's just the Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I want one, Oh, how i want a darn locker, while your at it santa...can I /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifhave two?

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

When I had my lockrite.... i hated driving it on the street... it was awesome in sand and mud! But it would clikc and clunk almost non stop... around corners it would chirp tires bad...and then parking and doing turn and u-turns with no gas at all it would voilently bounce or kinda shake ... i guess thats what ratcheting is?
    I hated it on the street... then i blew it out at the beach 2 wks later lol. Next traction aid im getting will probably eaton posi. And see how that goes, cause you can adjust the load of it.

12. thats somewhat how my detroit is, but mine is actually really quiet. try putting in a thicker oil. that helps quiet them down.

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 85w140 in mine an I don't hear it clunking and banging like a lot of people notice. I only hear it
    when I put it into reverse sometimes.