Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker gear oil question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

What brand of fluid are you guys liking in your Detroits?Anyone tried enough types to see any difference?

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

No personal experience yet, but I don't see that the fluid would effect how it performs.

3. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Was thinking that some guys might have noticed less noise with different types.Maybe a certain brand might last longer/look better when changed etc...

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I run 85w-140 with my LockRight, keeps it alittle quieter

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Heavyweight Redline Shockproof . It won't stop an occasional bang , and in a lockright it won't always quiet the slow parking lot corner click with a Lockright . However , noise is greatly reduced overall otherwise .

It will stay on whatever it touches , I had my other 12 bolt sitting with the cover off for over a year , and its still had Redline clinging to the surfaces .

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Pauly is right on. I use the same Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil in my K5's diffs with a Detroit in the back & a Lockright in the front. I am a believer in it for offroad diffs. It is not meant for long haul DD action for for a moderate DD & trail rig it kicks arse. It isn't cheap & can be hard to find but it is totally worth it IMHO. It looks like Pepto Bismo & is very thick. It sticks to EVERYTHING though & is great protection for diff that you have spent alot of money on to get locked, geared, etc. The viscocity is 75w-250 :D. Like Pauly said also it quites noisey diffs alot. Until recently I had NEVER heard a peep out of my lockright in 3 years of offroading. Not many people can say they don't hear there lockright.

In my long haul DD I use Amsoil Severe Gear Synthetic. It has many of the same features as the Redline except it is not quite as thick & is ment for heavy DD use. Amsoil is available in 2 weights. 75w-90 & 75w-140.

Both oils are designed with very good pressure characteristics. Neither oil will press out from between the metal parts even under extreme load.

Harley

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I use the cheap Oreilly gear oil in the 5 gallon bucket. I change my gear oil often due to water crossings and wheeling in mud.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I use 80-90W dino gear oil. My detroit almost never unlocks unless I am coasting down a hill or something so I cannot help with noise.

Ira