Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker in the Ft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a detroit in the rear 14 bolt. Looking to put a no spin detroit in the ft D60 with warn lock out hubs.

Still saving up cash and parts to put in a doubler. So I'm thinking the rear is all set up and ready for hard core action ft end will be all setup also detroit 35 spline outers. So I think the weak link will be the 208 t-case. Question is who here is running this combo? and is a 208 strong enough to handle no spin lockers ft and rear? Let me know what you think on this

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran my 208 pretty hard in my truck for the last 2 years. 35's, 3/4 ton, lockers F&R. I rockcrawled it mainly. The only problem I had was my planetary gear setup became a little worn and started to make noise. I replaced it with a spare planetary I had and kept on trucking no problems. These were all 20 year old parts that had seen over 150K of DD use and also alot of hunting & backwoods driving in 4x4. I personally think the 208 is an underrated case. It is not the toughest case around but it will take some heavy use with proper maintainence. It probably won't survive alot of heavy hammer down stuff but if you are going to crawl it then I would run it till it breaks. The 208's are a dime a dozen so they can be had very easy and are easy to rebuild.

The major worry with the 208 is to keep it protected from direct impact to the case. The cast aluminum is pretty thin and won't take direct shots from objects very well.

Harley

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I know Storm Trooper is running a 208 with a standard tranny. I know the front is locked but with an ARB. He said he's never had a problem with it.

The guy we rode with at Blazer Bash has Lock Rights front and rear (D60 & 14b) and he's never had a problem with his 208. He's from Farmington and wheels his truck almost every weekend.

Here we are going up Potato Salad Hill:
    [​IMG]

I agree with Harley, I thing the 208 is a little under-rated by most.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think the 208 is up to the task. Just make sure you protect the aluminum case from rock smacks, and you should be good to go.