Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker Install- 14BFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Jul 7, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm doing some research before I order the locker. Where is there some good tech info I can look at? Anyone have any dificulty installing, or any required parts that I would need to order in advance? I want to have all my ducks in a row, and all parts here when I do this job. I hate tearing something down, then finding out I need something else to finish the job. I've done my own R&P setups on 10B, 12B, and D44, So, I'm pretty confident in that area. Just never had a 14B apart before. Thanks for any info!

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I tried to find the clicky link to ORC on Shawn's Potent Rodent about his review he did and it appears like it got deleted. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. thatK30guy

Well, HOT DAMN!! Russ found it!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. BadDog

Yeah, ORC sucks completely now. They used to have a good site with good tech, even if the forums were (almost) totally dominated by "I just cranked my torsion bars for 3" of lift" stuff. Now, most of the good articles have disappeared completely, pics are missing (dead links), and it's all fubar. When Shawn bailed on it, it completely tanked (at least it was about the time he disappeared that ORC went down the tubes).

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

ORC is going thorugh some major changes (we will see if it gets back to what it was, I am not holding my breath) Kevin Grozney the web guru has left and so have quite a few others. Fidel Gonzalez is the one mainly responsible for the web status as of now. Kevin had it going smooth, we will see what comes.

Depdog

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Do you guys know if Shawn still has/wheels the potent rodent? I seen his blazer and it motivated me to build mine.

I just couldnt keep up with the bling bling aspect of it.

8. BadDog

Last I heard he had found new interest in building a street rod, muscle car, or some such; and the Rodent is moldering away. I think that ultra-tweaked Edel FI 454 finally got the better of him. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif As for trying to keep up, him and camo on the PBB would make a good pair. Must be nice to have that much money to throw into toys...

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Russ! Damn, here I thought it was some hard job. There I go thinkin again /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you've done ring and pinion swaps on 10 and 12 bolts you'll laugh like a giddy school girl when you see how simple the C14 is to work on. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyone that could fog a mirror could pull the carrier and put it back with a Detroit in it in about 4 hours comfortably...with common hand tools.

Rene

11. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

Like Trusty said, nothin to it. I welded mine first, hated it, bought the detroit, and was sure I was in for trouble when I pulled it back apart. Not so. Everything popped right out, Detroit popped right in, been smiling ever since. Dive into it, you'll be surprised how easy it is, I promise. Sean

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Me and my dad put the Detroit in my 14 in a few hours, it's pretty easy. Having access to a lift (or 8 or 9 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif) helps, but I guess it can be done on the ground. I got new ring gear bolts when I did mine.

13. thatK30guy

Depdog and Bad Dog (LOL!), what the hell happened that Shawn "bailed out" and what the hell exactly happened to ORC? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Scuttlebutt is that Shawn got laid off and is starting a new business, is in the middle of the divorce, and is probably also building the 69 convertible Camaro SS that he bought on ebay last year. Nobody in the forums on ORC has seen hide nor hair of him in nearly a year, and he does not respond to emails anymore. Too bad too, he's a heck of a guy. </font color>

15. thatK30guy

What about Mr. Fox? He don't live too far from Shawn. He ought to know more than we do.

"Hey Steve, have you or can you go check on Shawn for us?" /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

16. BadDog

Shaggy pretty well covered what I know (and then some). Bottom line is he has other interests and no longer answers email from any of us low life 4 wheelers...

17. thatK30guy

Sounds like Shawn got the 'proverbial treatment' from the wife.....she probably cleaned him out and took the Potent Rodent as part of the divorce settlement!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

18. Depdog

Dont know about Shawn, I have not gotten a reply to any emails I have sent him. He is still listed on ORC as the Chevy Editor. Seems that during the dot com shakeup, there were quite a few "Rule" changes in ORC and TONS of folks left.

Every couple of months another "Key" person leaves. Kevin Grozney was the last one to leave and he gave the web site its design and POP. Fidel and Eddie are running the show mostly. See more motorcycle and atv stuff than anything else. I hope things settle back down and stuff gets better, but right not its up and down with all the changes and new rules.

Who ever is doing the web part of it now needs to do some major fixing to get the pics and dead links done. Not to mention the article links. All the articles are still there, you just have to go back to the old months TOC pages, kinda like looking thourgh old issues of your paper magazines.

Depdog

19. thatK30guy

Damn, that sucks! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

BTW, does Shawn still have Potent Rodent?

20. Depdog

I have no idea, he does not answer my emails. Somebody PM or email Steve and get some answers from him. They are supposed to be friends, at least thats what I was led to believe.

Depdog