Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker Install???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 19, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to install a detroit locker in my 14 bolt... Do i need to remove the R&P gears? Is there a different locker for the 3.73 gears and the 4.56 gears?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep the 3.73 carrier is smaller than the one that the 4.56 rides on. Adn Im pretty sure you have to remove the carrier (aka the part with the ring gear attached). Then install the locker guts and re-install the carrier. Then you'll have to make sure you backlash setting is correct and thats it. Im new to the 14 bolt, so if anyone sees something Im incorrect on please feel free.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Go here and see how easy it is..........no R&P setting.

<font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Installing the locker is easy, though i do believe the ring gear bolts are torque to yield--ie--you can only use them once. (im not completly sure about this) just split the carrier, remove spider gears, install locker, put carrier back togather, install carrier. there is a carrier break for the 3.73's to 4.56---i just ordered a "thick" ring gear to use the 3.73 carrier. Got it from Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion.

my bad ftn96 was right i meant ring gear bolt, not carrier.

Dan

Sun Desert Offroad &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com&gt;4x4.alloffroad.com&lt;/a&gt;

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, dana 60,4.56's, (sometime soon flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by SCOOBYDANNN on 02/19/02 01:21 PM.</FONT></P>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you mean by the "carrier" bolts. The ring gear bolts are "supposedly" a one time use at least on the 10 and 12 bolt units. But the tech page on Randy's Ring and pinion said they "can" be used over again.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]